We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary planned - please help with 2 questions

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
553 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary planned - please help with 2 questions

Hi everyone -

I have done my research for my trip to Ireland in May, and below is my itinerary. Originally the trip started as 2 people doing the trip below. Now we have added 2 other people who will be joining us in Dublin, and then leaving on Sunday to take a train back to Dublin to fly home to Munich. We are all in our 20's and 30's and very capable of getting around and seeing a lot in one day.

These 2 people have said that they don’t want to spend the entire time “on the road” - so I was curious if the trip I have below would be “on the road” too much? I figure we would drive some place, hike or walk around, then drive somewhere else and hike, take pics, etc.

Another comments my travel companions made was that they would be happy staying in tents, especially since Ireland is so beautiful. My second question, is are there campgrounds along the way? We are going the third week of May, so I don’t know how the changing Irish weather will be to camp out in. Are there campgrounds with cabins in the areas? I prefer to not stay in a tent, so I am trying to find something in between hotels and camping.

- Arrive in Dublin Tuesday evening, and check into our hotel.

- Wednesday we would tour Dublin and spend the night again.

- Thursday: early train to Cork and then rent a car and drive to Blarney, on our way to Killarney where we would spend the night.

- Friday we would wake up and drive the Ring of Kerry on our way to Dingle where we would spend the night.

- Saturday would be for touring the Dingle Penninsula returning the same hotel.

- Sunday we would drive to the Cliffs of Moher and spend the night in Bunratty

- Monday around 11:30 am we would fly from Shannon (SNN) to Philly

So again my questions are:

1. Is this a very “on the road” itinerary? What are the driving times? Do you think we would spend more time out of the car hiking and walking around - I will be renting a car and driving from Cork.

2. Are there any campgrounds along my route that might involve cabins with roofs or walls?

Thank you SO SO very much. Please let me know if you would like more information, I am quick to reply to my responses so please ask away.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary planned - please help with 2 questions

It is a fairly on the road itinerary in that you seem to be packing up and moving on most days but I think it still allows lots of opportunity for time out of the car and walking around. From Killarney around the ROK to Dingle might best be approached by leaving Killarney and beginning the ROK in a clockwise direction by heading for Kenmare, driving along the coast and getting off the ROK in Killorglin in order to get to Dingle.

And my first thought about campgrounds that have cabins is that you might wish to look into hostels. Many hostels around Ireland (those on the edge of or outside of towns will allow you to pitch a tent on their grounds for a fee but still use their facilities. And so if the weather is not cooperating those that wished to camp can move inside. There was one on the edge of Killarney and Killarney National Park but it has closed as far an I know (Bunrower Hostel anyone?). And there are two others but I would recommend the An Oige Hostel outside of town for its peaceful setting overlooking the lakes. Their websitehttp://www.anoige.ie/hostels/killarney-international does not list camping as an option but I have seen tents pitched on the grounds? And here is one in the Dingle area http://www.anoige.ie/hostels/dun-chaoin Again they don't list camping but with the rates they charge it is probably better value to get a bed anyway.

And there are many other hostels around the country that offer very affordable accommodation options.

http://www.hostels.com/ie.html Very extensive list.

http://www.anoige.ie/ Kinda the National Hostel Association.

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary planned - please help with 2 questions

You will need to get early start most of your days (9am?), if you expect to arrive at your night's destination with enough time to see some of that town as well during daylight. Use a good directions site for travel times and distances (and either use 1 km/min or add 20% to the travel time). I've been testing out Google maps vs. Aaroadwatch.ie and they are with 5-10 minutes of each other on most trips, but Google has the advantage of the map and the drag and drop route changes.

And why don't you just compromise and go with the hostels? The weather in Ireland in May can be nasty - 30's overnight and rain/drizzle all the time. In fact, it can be like that in July! And January!

Don't know what you are looking for in Dublin, but Trinity College and the Books of Kells is a Don't Miss - and Jameson's has a better tour than Guinness. Temple Bar is good for a drink or 2, but Brazen Head/O'Shea's or Toner's/Doheny & Nesbitt's/O'Donohue's is a less touristy pub crawl.

And in Dingle, Must-See: Harry Clark Stained Glass in St Mary's Church. Pubs to visit: J. Curran's, Dick Mack's, Murphy's, An Droichead Beag, Benner's Hotel Lounge for Old Victorian charm.

No matter what, you'll have a blast.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary planned - please help with 2 questions

wow, camping in tents....i love ireland, and i don't go for the weather, who does?....but i wouldn't want to take a chance on the weather....it can be very cold in the mornings, then very wet, then kind of warm....

if it is a money issue, i would opt for a hostel, which i am not fond of, over a tent anytime..it has walls and a roof, and the rain can't get you...lol...

just an idea...i am guessing the train ride for four would be more costly than a days rental on a car...i would just drive to blarney and killarney...and you can get out and walk around from time to time....

also you said your friends will be catching a train on sunday back to dublin....not sure where they will catch the train but i don't think in doolin or bunratty...maybe one of the locals can answer that yes or no.....

tuesday and wednesday day ok

thursday whether by car or train will be a really full day

friday very full day

saturday ok

sunday very full day

i know you are all young, and i know you are all feeling capable of seeing a lot in one day, but you might be surprised at the time it takes on small, curvy, road works laden, sheep stopping, traffic, type roads versus u.s. roads...no comparison....in the u.s. 100 miles 1-1/2 hours...in ireland up to 4 hours depending on the type of road...and all of the places you have chosen are all on small roads.....

just something to consider....have fun whatever you end up doing.....

4. Re: Itinerary planned - please help with 2 questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 13:17