We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not to miss packing list?

Utah
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Not to miss packing list?

Okay, this is maybe a dumb question. We are coming to Ireland in June 2009. Other than the obvious neccessary things to pack- money, rain jacket and a fantastic camera- what are Ireland specific things that we need to pack or think about? We are doing the southern tour with a car rental...

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not to miss packing list?

No - it's not a dumb question :-)

Here's one thing I always pack:

Ordnance Survey Complete Road Atlas of Ireland - very useful! You can usually find one at the airport (Dublin or Shannon) and most bookstores seem to stock them. Amazon.com occasionally has them in stock - but they seem quite pricey to me. Here's a link to show you what you're looking for:

www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm…

:-)

Utah
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not to miss packing list?

Thanks, Sarniagirl. How would you think that compares to the "The Michelin (#923) Motoring Map of Ireland?" which seems more accessible in the states?

Anyone else have any other thoughts about my pack list? I know we've got some time yet but we're getting excited!!! :)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not to miss packing list?

take a few plastic bags, or a shopping bag because in ireland they charge you for the bags when you purchase something....

if you use a curling iron, go to walmart and get a dual control one...also buy a plug converter to change from our type to the ireland type...don't pack a dryer unless it's dual control, or a shaver, the voltage in ireland will literally burn them up....most b&b's have dryers in the room...and hubby can take the old fashioned type razor (in checked luggage) or buy a battery operated one.....

take an extra pair of shoes in case your feet get wet....for a jacket, take a windbreaker with a light lining...that is all you will need...

remember, carry on limits liquids to 3 ounces or smaller that will fit in one, one quart ziplock bag...and liquids larger than that, simply put them in ziplock bags, mash the air out, and pack them in your checked luggage....

please note, do not over pack....it is nice and cool in ireland and you can wear your things several times with no fear of being offensive to others....lol....and for goodness sake don't take 5-6 pair of shoes, just wastes space....lol...

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not to miss packing list?

We had great fun with this list some while ago, plenty of reading and ideas here: tripadvisor.co.uk/…6985091

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not to miss packing list?

Savannagh I would go with the OSI map that Sarnia recommended instead of the Michelin Map. The OSI are the national mapping agency and their maps are the most detailed and uptodate.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Not to miss packing list?

And just to point out, if your map is more than 2 years in print then it is already out of date. The OSI maps are updated yearly and believe me, you'll want the most up-to-date one with the amount of road construction going on here. My wife and I got lost on the M50 at Leopardstown because our OSI map was two years old, and we're locals!!

Medication is different here (it's actually easier to get more powerful drugs over-the-counter in Ireland). But if you need any medication get it filled in the States.

Don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen as well as your rain gear and fleece!

Small collapsable umbrellas are a great thing to have in your day bag when travelling, and a small flashlight (or "torch" as they are called here) is always handy.

Ireland has changed dramatically since we moved here from the US 7 years ago; back then we were begging people to bring things over, and now you can buy just about everything here the same as in the US. Pack light and buy what you need when you get here.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Not to miss packing list?

Oma - on the shopping bag front I would suggest not bringing any more plastic into Ireland (we already have enough) and just buy the canvas shopping bags for ¢1 at the store.

When our US relations visit they always bring home about 10 of them to use for shopping and storing things. They are really handy to have in the house. One canvas shopping bag can hold the equivalent of 4 US plastic bags and your groceries don't fall all over the place in the car.

That's my top-tip for the day :)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not to miss packing list?

Agreed Mark, great invention, but they are €1 rather than 1 cent (is that a cent sign?). Still good value.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not to miss packing list?

Haven't been in a while. Do all the B&B's have washcloths now?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not to miss packing list?

No. B&B's do not as a general rule supply washcloths -though demand may mean that this is changing. Here washcloths are regarded a bit like toothbrushes, they are personal. I know they can be washed, but that is the local culture.