We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

After reading several reviews we are still wondering which direction we should start the Ring of Kerry tour??? Clockwise or anti-clockwise?? A lot of review say anti-clockwise but some say clockwise??? I'm confused!!

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

Have not been yet but our understanding is to drive it clockwise. The tour buses will be driving anticlockwise so by going clockwise you wont get stuck behind them. Although you will be facing them as they are coming at you.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

In my opinion you should always drive the ROK counterclockwise. Never mind the buses, they leave very early in the morning. In my experience we have never been held up by a tour bus going our direction. They tend to stop at places that you don't necessarily want to stop at. And even if you have one in front of you, so what? Just pull in where the buses don't stop, enjoy the views, have a picnic.

If you go couterclockwise the driver will have lovely views of the sea panorama without having to screw his/her neck and I think these views are just precious around the ROK.

At 3pm in early September outside Waterville we didn't meet a single tour bus, they all seemed to have gone back home.

Just a bit of advice: you might want to consider taking the ferry over to Valentia Island. It leaves from just outside Cahersiveen and is signposted. You can rejoin the mainland via a bridge to Portmagee. Get onto the R566 and follow this all the way around to Waterville where you get back onto the ROK. Believe me, the detour is well worth it!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

I vote for counterclockwise. I have done it that way twice (July both times) and once the other way (also July).

I prefer counterclockwise because driving on the left keeps you on the inside lane next to land. Going clockwise one is on the lane which in places steeply drops down to the sea. I didn't like meeting busses when I was in that lane. As for getting behind busses, I set out before them so had no trouble getting stuck behind them. I did catch up to one, but I was ready for a cup of tea and a break, so just pulled over and by the time I moved on, the bus was pulled into a parking spot up the road. All the passengers were standing in line at the comfort station.

Take Clauds's advice and take a detour to Valentia Island. It's lovely.

davie florida
Level Contributor
254 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

C ounterclokwise...Do take the ferry to Valentia and also try to get directions ( 5 minute ride ) to the Quarry where there is statue of The Blessed Virgin...there you will have one of the best views in all Ireland...enjoy....

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

Where are you starting your journey from?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

We are starting in Killarney. We plan on doing it in one day, I know we should spend more time, but that's all I can get!!

7. Re: Ring of Kerry - Clockwise or anti-clockwise??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 12:30