We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can we do this?

Everett, wa
8 posts
Save Topic
How can we do this?

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Ireland May 10 - May 23. We will spend the 10th -17th based in Galway visiting Connemara, the Aran islands, cliff's of Mohr, and the Burren.

The problem comes with planning the second week.

Departing Galway on the 17th we would like to see the following: Dingle Pen. ( you all seem to love it), Skellig Michael, and the Rock of Cashel. Originally thought we "had to see" the ROK, but the posts here have me concerned, and Dingle sounds wonderful. the problem is, we both REALLY want to go North and see Giant's Causeway and the rope bridge, maybe even spend a day in Belfast if we can swing it.

We are in our early 30's, renting a car, and shopping isn't really on our agenda. We love history, (a recommendation for a museum would be lovely) but my husband tells me we can't see every castle/abbey in Ireland, much to my chagrin. We haven't purchased airfare yet, so we can pick where to fly in/out of, but we must be in Galway from 10th -17th.

We are very open to suggestions for how to spend that second week and I am hopeful someone can help me figure out how to fit in the trip North.

Thank you in advance, this forum is amazing.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can we do this?

You could try flying into Shannon and out of Dublin.

http://www.shannonairport.com/plan-book/

Leave Galway for Dingle, two nights.

Kenmare two nights.

Kilkenny via Cashel one night.

Dublin 2 nights.

Dublin has a good choice of day trips to the Antrim coast.

www.railtoursireland.com/tours/dc10.asp

http://www.lynotttours.com/i-dublintours.htm

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can we do this?

What do you mean, you can't see every castle and abbey? Ha! Sounds like my husband, but you can see a lot of them because they are all over. We have been twice to the Rock of Cashel and loved it both times.

usa
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can we do this?

Hello!

Here's a thought ... If you can depart before the 10th, you might also consider flying into Belfast, spend a night or 2 in NI then swing back down to the republic through Donegal, Sligo, then on to Galway. Spend your week there, then on the ROK or Dingle (BOTH are wonderful!) for the last leg of your trip and fly out of Shannon. We did this last year and did not have a problem with the airline reservations or the rental car. I highly recommend driving the Glens of Antrim, the Giants Causeway , rope bridge etc. It was very spectacular!

Have fun planning! :-)

Everett, wa
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How can we do this?

Ferdia 35,

Thank you for your recommendation. I love your posts, they are always so helpful.

Looking at our 2 weeks, we are spending a lot of time in the West. Are we "missing out" by not exploring the Eastern part of the country with the second week? It has taken me 10 years to get to Ireland, and I suspect it will be at least that long before we can go again. If you only had 1 week in Ireland, what would you do? Originally we had considered skipping Dingle, and taking 2 days to explore either Antrim Coast or Wicklow/eastern Ireland. Thoughts?

Is it possible to see Giant's causeway and Carrick-a-Rede bridge in one day without a tour group? I really dislike them. Or is it best to do the day trip and let someone else drive?

Everett, wa
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How can we do this?

Hello!

Unfortunately we can't leave before May 9th. If only I didn't have to work to fund my travel habbit... :)

Thanks for the thought though!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can we do this?

VooDoo - that week in Galway is not negotiable?

It seems a pity to have so much time tied up in the one location.

Yes - you could overnight it in Antrim, and cut back Dublin to one night.

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

Everett, wa
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How can we do this?

Ferdia35,

We are in Galway for the week. We purchased lodging there are for a week at a charity auction, so we would like to take advantage of most of it. We are planning to stay overnight on Inishmor, and I could probably talk my husband into leaving a night early, but otherwise we are in Galway for most of the week.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can we do this?

VooDoo - you'll have a great week in Galway with great opportunities for fantastic day trips - and you wont regret a night out on the Arans.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How can we do this?

what posts have you concerned about the ring?...there is nothing to be concerned about...it is breath taking and well worth your time....and then there is the national park, muckross house, the lakes of killarney, torc falls, ladies view, the horsecart rides....oh so much you will be missing...and i would never trade giants causeway or belfast for killarney, ever....lol...

i think with the other things you want to see trying to take in giants causeway, carrick a rede bridge, belfast, etc., would cramp your time too much.....

:)

10. Re: How can we do this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 07:19