We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

San Angelo, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

Hello Ireland,

When my mother and I come in May, we hope to hear some traditional music. The problem is: I understand that general things don't start up in the pubs until fairly late. I've already sought counsel on driving and I feel fairly confident. Just not confident enough to think I can drive after dark and still find our b&b.

We'll be staying a night in Dingle, 2 in Killarney, 1 in Kildare, 1 in Wicklow, 1 near Sligo and 2 in Kilnaboy. Any possibilities?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

Killarney Lodge in Killarney tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186612-d2131…

is very convenient to the town centre, without actually being on the main street. You would walk it in a few minutes and it is a very nice guest house - must add a review, I stayed there a couple of weeks ago.

San Angelo, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

I'm sorry. I seem to have miscommunicated. I was asking if anyone knew of any pubs(or other facility) that would have afternoon or evening trad music sessions.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
869 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

Becky, I don't know where you are staying but Killarney and Dingle are small enough to walk around, you won't need the car. Plus all villages/towns in Ireland have adequate street lighting to enable you to find your B&B after dark. Irish pubs are busier at night time, that is when people kick back an enjoy a drink and some music, I'd suggest going native.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

Becky, Yes, I misunderstood, but the principle is there. Find accommodation within the limits of a town and you will be ok to walk to the pub. Anyway the drinkdriving limits are very low so don't chance it, one drink could have you borderline.

If you do not get specific recommendations just keep an eye out in the town, there will be posters on the doors of pubs that will be having sessions. Also your B&B host will be able to suggest somewhere. You probably will not find sessions every night of the week in some places, they are mostly weekend nights. I don't think you will easily find afternoon sessions.

5. Re: hello Ireland--afternoon or eveing trad music?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 15:17