We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

HI-Iʻve taken in lots of advice from TA posts regarding car rental issues, in particular CDW requirements and coverage by using mastercard. Iʻve visited the MC assist site twice, and made 3 calls to them. After being informed all was good by phone I was trying to get printed verification form the site that we are covered. Each time I get different answers!

Web site print says things like "you MAY be covered" (not very helpful!). The person who sounded most knowledgeable gave me the worst (and unexpected) news...that only WORLD MC provides this benefit, so my "Diamond Preferred" Citibank card is of no use (as it specifically excludes Ireland).

Does anyone know for sure?! For those who printed up info (that was accepted) to take along-what exactly did you print out?

I am about 48 hours from departure and confusion is a bad state of mind!! Help?

and a PS to Sarnia Girl..just read your trip report:

WOW WOW WOW-so glad it was so great. we plan to follow in your footsteps a bit. & hope we make a friend in Kenmare as well:) keep your good info & great photos coming!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

Yes, only WORLD Mastercard provides CDW coverage. I have a World Mastercard and when I called 1-800-MCASSIST, they verbally told me the conditions and then sent me an e-mail with everything in writing to present to the car rental company (who ended up not wanting it anyway.)

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

I second what Longhorn said. For the US it is only US-issued World MC. MC says "MAY" in their statement because there are evidently some car rental agencies that do not accept the World MC either. I haven't found them yet but suppose they are out there.

I also took the printed document MC-ASSIST sent me. Neither Thrifty nor Avis asked to see it when I showed them my World MC though. Your best bet is to contact the rental company directly and ask them if you aren't sure. Thrifty has it posted in their Terms & Conditions for rentals at Dublin Airport. I have not seen this with all of the rental companies though.

Aloha!

John

Montana
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

Had no trouble using the World Mastercard with Avis twice. Plan to use it a 3rd time this Sept.

Good luck. Especially meeting a car on the one lane roads in Connemara (I was off the beaten trail and out in the boondocks.) Frank

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
368 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

With Irish Car Rentals - I didn't need to show them a letter of coverage. They saw it was a World MasterCard and told me I was good to go.

MasterCard did provide me a letter, via e-mail, that verified coverage. It was a general letter of coverage that said "You may be covered." Under that heading, it said coverage is not provided in Countries where it is prohibited by law. Since it's not prohibit by law in Ireland, I was covered (according to MC).

If you feel uncomfortable - just purchase Super CDW. And - please, don't rely on advice from folks here about whether you're covered - make sure you are comfortable with what MC tells you. If something goes wrong - we don't want you being mad at us . . .

;-)

Have a great trip.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

thanks for all the quick clarifying everyone.

looks like since my MC is NOT a "world card" I am up a creek as they say. It certainly could have gotten one if Iʻd understood, but now there is no time left...after all my intense researching every front Iʻm a little discouraged to have messed this up!

Onward anyway...looks like a good chunk of trip budget just got moved to the car rental insurance needs-shucks!

itʻs time to break it to me know-anything else Iʻm stupid about and need warning?!

breathe and proceed, breathe and proceed..

Thank you all!

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

Hello,

Just got back from Ireland and used my Bank of America World card and declined CDW. Card must be a world card. Another couple at the counter was told that the credit card they wanted to use wouldn't cover the damage as it didn't say world. Hope this helps.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

thanks, thats bad news in my case...but at least I know!!

trying to see if we can arrange last minute 3td party coverage...don't know the process (but getting guidance thanks to uasal!!) and no time to find out how much it could save us to go to this last minute effort.

may quickly decide it is time to "surrender!" and just purchase from Thrifty.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

malama

I bought 3rd party insurance from this company; it cost me £49for the year (to cover Europe):

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

Just be aware that the car rental company will put a "hold" of approx. €1000-€1100 on your card, which will be refunded when you return the car undamaged.

The good thing about the above-mentioned company is that their cover includes damage to wheels, windows and windscreens and the underneath of the car - none of these are covered by the car rental company's "super cdw" (at least not "Budget" car rental).

I fortunately have not experienced any damage to a rental car, so can't tell you if insurance4carhire are good to deal with.

Please "do" arrange something before you go - or pay for the super cdw when you pick up your rental. Whilst I was staying at Pax, a guest arrived in some distress. The husband had scraped the car - and had not taken out the super cdw. The wife was really upset, and I saw John (the owner of Pax) outside with various cloths, polishes, etc, trying to "clean up" the damage to the car.

And yes - my trip was very special, indeed, thank you. Such lovely memories!

Safe journey, malama!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

Oh! Forgot to mention: I asked Budget how much the "super cdw" would have cost per day for my little Nissan Micra: €12.

Alabama
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CDW...Mastercard confusion for car rental

Sorry to confuse things, but could someone please clarify something for me?

Is the CDW something that is refundable or not?

What is the $1000 refundable hold that is put on my credit card? Is this different from the CDW that must be purchased without world mastercard?

I have world mastercard, but don't quite understand what to expect. I reserved a rental car through Thrifty but had read how they wanted Toofpik to purchase their insurance, even though he had world mastercard.