We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Itinerary

Pheonix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Ireland Itinerary

Please help us with our itinerary. We are two families traveling with children, three girls all age 10 - total of 7. We have a week in Ireland and have to fly in and out of Dublin. We've never been and want to see some of the beautiful countryside. Proposed itinerary:

Sunday - arrive in Dublin, get acclimated, catch up on sleep.

Monday - see some of Dublin's sights. U2 concert.

Tuesday - leave Dublin early and rent car at airport (2 cabs back to airport?) Go to Powerscourt for lunch and scenery. After Powerscourt, head to Kilkenney Castle. Spend night in Kilkenney

Wednesday - wake early and be first at Rock of Cashel. AFter lunch, head to Dingle. Check in, have dinner and walk around.

Thursday - Dingle loop and countryside. Sleep in Dingle.

Friday - morning in Dingle and head to Galway. Stop at Cliffs of Moher on way. Wander Galway in the evening and sleep in town.

Saturday - head to Aran Islands and another night in Galway.

Sunday - Spend day in Galway and then head back to Dublin area. Spend night in or around Dublin (airport or town? - plane leaves at 11:00 a.m. and have to return car).

Please let me know if you think this a reasonable itinerary. A lot of driving involved and more lodging stops than I like, but otherwise seems we either miss a lot or spend too much time in the car.

Did we give ourselves enough time to see the sights of Kilkenney, Dingle and Galway - or should we give up one of the stops? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much, Sheila

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Sheila, you're right, your itinerary does involve a lot of driving. But it's doable, particularly if you're early risers!

On your last night you should stay in one of the hotels at the airport. Considering returning the car and security at the airport and all.

I don't think you'll need two taxis to the airport on the Tuesday. Request a "people carrier" type of cab. Reception in your hotel/the host in your B&B should be able to get that for you.

Enjoy your holiday!

Pheonix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Thank you Clauds. If you wanted to trim some of the driving off our trip, what would you give up from our itinerary? We know that Dingle is far but it sounds like one of the most beautiful places in the country. Also, we leave Galway on Sunday, August 2 and Monday, August 3rd is a holiday, don't know if that affects traffic, etc.

Thanks, Sheila

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Sheila, I honestly don't know which part I would trim off your itinerary. Yes, Dingle is a bit of a drive but it would be a shame to leave that part of the country out. And if the three girls are good travellers you should be okay.

Traffic over holiday weekends is usually heaviest on the Friday with people heading to their destinations and on the Monday when they head back home. So Sunday, the 3rd of August, shouldn't be too bad for getting back to Dublin.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Sheila,

Hi! Congrats on the U2 tickets. I've been a fan for over 20 yrs. I just returned from a 10-night trip to Ireland. (see my trip report) I remember Ireland fondly but remember also how tiring it was. My advice would be to stick with the east if you can. There is plenty to see near Dublin. You can go to Newgrange (a bit north) - my kids loved it. There's Powerscourt, Glendalough, the Wicklow Mtns, etc. My friend advised me to do either the west or the east, I disregarded her advice and we tried to pack it all in. However, after saying that, our favorite place was Dingle. We stayed at Castlewood House and loved it. We also stayed at a great place in Kilkenny (Rosquil House) but we were all disappointed by the castle. (No audioguide, no live tour guide) Try to cut something out, I never went to Galway so can't comment. I enjoyed all the driving (being either the driver or a front-seat passenger) but it was more boring for the kids. Good luck!

Pheonix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Thank you Steady, been reading up on your previous messages and appreciate the insight. We realized that U2 was playing the night after we arrived in Dublin and bought tickets online through a broker, very excited. Will be in Ireland July 26-August 3.

So hard to plan this trip without having the lay of the territory. If anyone has suggestions for the best way to spend Tuesday - Sunday, knowing we have to fly in and out of Dublin, would appreciate your perspective. We are trying to see some of the wonderful places we've read about, but just don't have a feel for the drive times. Looked at aaireland.com to estimate, but people are saying to expect longer drives. Don't exactly know how to plan for that. Our girls are all ten (twins plus 1) and pretty mellow, but don't know if we are spending too much time in the car.

Thanks again for your help, Sheila

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
869 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Sheila, most Irish people would do a week in Kerry or Galway or whereever. They would not do a tour as you are planning, especially with kids. I drove my kids the length and breath of Europe thinking it was fun, they were bored. My choice after the U2 gig would be to head for Dingle, and stay there. There is alot to do. Great scenery, restaurants, pubs for the adults, great beaches and Fungi for the kids. Drive over the Connor Pass for stunning views, visit Castlegregory and the Marharees for great beaches and water sports. Visit Annascaul to visit the South Pole pub. Once owned by Tom Crean who went to the South Pole 3 times on expeditions. Further on is the fabulous Inch beach. Bring a picnic.

One the way back to Dublin stay in Kenmare. Visit the Beara Peninsula which divides Cork from Kerry. Come back the Cork side and cross the Caha Pass at Glengariff back into Kerry. Fabulous views. In Glengariff you can visit Garnish Island for beautiful gardens and visit a seal colony in the bay.

Stay in a hotel near the airport for easy access to your flight. Visit Howth, Malahide, Skerries all lovely sea side towns/villages near the airport. Relax and enjoy you visit.

Pheonix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Thank you for all the great feedback. Based on the information we revised our trip. Know we should probably 'stick' to east or west, but so much we want to see that we know we will spend a lot of time driving. Here goes:

Sunday/Monday/Tuesday a.m. - Dublin

Tuesday - long drive to Dingle - Christchurch B & B (Galway was crowded with race events)

Wednesday to Friday - Dingle - two nights at Dingle Bay Hotel

Friday to Sunday - long drive to Kilkenney - two nights at Berkeley B & B (I think)

Monday - Marriott at Druid's Glen (short of Dublin, on our way to airport at 11:00 a.m.)

Again, would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on lodging, restaurants, attractions, etc.

Thank you, Sheila

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Sheila - if your flight from Dublin Airport leaves at 11am and you will be returning a hire car, then you will need to be arriving at Dublin Airport around 8am at the latest (airlines advise checking in 3 hours before a transatlantic flight and it will take time to hand back your car, plus 6am - 9am can be very busy at DUB).

The drive from Druid's Glen at Newtownmountkennedy to Dublin Airport involves covering almost the entire length of the M50 (Dublin orbital motorway)and you'll be heading into Dublin rush hour traffic which is usually heavy between about 7am and 9.30am,and often particularly so on Monday mornings. It looks like you'll be heading for an early start anyway, but I'd advise allowing yourself plenty of time for the journey.

Pheonix, AZ
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Thank you Tapl, was trying to gauge the distances and drive to the airport. Because the day we go to the airport is a bank holiday (August 3) do you think traffic will be lighter?

Also, based on itinerary, would welcome suggestions for specific sites, restaurants, other information.

Thank you again, Sheila

10. Re: Ireland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 06:22