We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Days in Ireland - help please!

Norman, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Topic
6 Days in Ireland - help please!

I am flying into Dublin, arriving on a Monday morning and will be leaving from Dublin on Sunday morning. I was planning on renting a car, and immediately driving to Galway upon arrival. I was thinking that Monday and Tuesday could be spent in Galway, then drive to Doolin for Wednesday (visiting the cliffs of Moher). Thursday drive back to Dublin for the remainder of the trip.

I really want to see Dingle, as people's reviews are very positive, but I think it would be too much driving and not enough enjoying. My wife and I are looking to mix a bit of the city excitement with the beautiful country scene.

So my question is, is this a decent itinerary and does anybody have any suggestions or comments?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

-Charlie

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

If Dingle is a must see why not head for Dingle and reverse your itinerary.

Norman, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

Well I guess that's another question I have. Would you visit Dingle over Galway or Doolin (Especially considering i have to drive from Dublin and back)?

I'd like to see the Cliffs of Moher, but that could be done passing by I suppose.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

Can you change your flight and drive into Shannon if you're planning to go to Galway? Then fly out of Dublin on the way back. You really don't want to set out to drive all the way from Galway to Dublin after a long transatlantic flight due to jet lag!

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

I meant FLY into shannon...it would be along DRIVE from Oklahoma!

Norman, Oklahoma
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

Unfortunately my flights are fixed as I got them at a super-cheap rate.

I don't mind driving after the flight, I just don't want to kill too much of the trip in the car.

Would you see Galway or Dingle if you had to choose?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

IMO there are nicer palces in ireland than either Dingle and Galway. But if I had to choose it would be Dingle. Coming from Oaklahoma, I'd imagine that this will be very different from anything that you are used to. The Dingle Peninsula is a Gaelic area and is full of history and folklore. Do visit the Connor Pass and visit Castlegregory, the Maherees and Mount Brandon. Back on the Dingle side of the pass visit Annascaul and Inch beach. Also in the area is the Beara Peninsula one side of which is Kerry, the other is Cork. This is a very beautiful and remote area, www.bearatourism.com will give you more detail. Dublin to Dingle is approx 220 miles, so I assumed that you would spend the 6 nights there. Check the Dingle thread for more detailed info on B&B, restaurants etc. Enjoy

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
382 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

soonercharlie -

An option you might consider is what my friend and I are doing. We are initially flying into Dublin for a couple days. Then we are flying one-way on Aer Arann from Dublin to Galway where we will pick up our rental car. We save the time of driving it or being on a bus/train for the distance AND get the whole day in Galway to enjoy without being wiped from the journey over. Just a thought ;)

Kerry

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

Dingle gets my vote, although Galway was great too!

9. Re: 6 Days in Ireland - help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 08:20