We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central place to stay to do day trips

annesam
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Central place to stay to do day trips

My husband and I are going to Ireland in August for 7 days. We are flying into Shannon, hiring a car, staying two nights near Ennis and then wandering back to Dublin.

Can someone suggest a place or area we can stay for a few days so we can do day trips trips to the Ring of Kerry, Kilkenny, Tipperary and Cork. I think we will get tired of packing up and moving all the time and it would be good to sleep in the same bed for a few nights.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Central place to stay to do day trips

It would be nice to think there is one perfect area to see all on your wish list from. I think you need a couple of bases not one.

Killarney is good for the SW and ROK.

You can drive through Cork on your way to Co. Tipperary. Maybe Cashel or Kilkenny for another base?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
879 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central place to stay to do day trips

Limerick borders Cork, Kerry and Tipperary. The ROK is easy to do in a day from Limerick. Cork city is approx 60mls/100km away and the Rock of Cashel is about 45mls/80km.

In Limerick itself you have the Hunt Museum, King Johns Castle, St.Marys Cathedra visit www.visitlimerick.com for more ideas. Enjoy

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central place to stay to do day trips

I would second Sally's suggestion - too much time commuting otherwise!

I hope you have a great trip!

annesam
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central place to stay to do day trips

Thank you for all of the wonderful advice I think that is what we will do.

5. Re: Central place to stay to do day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 06:16