We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving trip in December

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Driving trip in December

I am looking for any advice in traveling to Ireland in December. I know the day light will be slim, but I am wondering if it is going to be really cold and rainy? Where we wont want to walk for hours out side exploring?

Also does anyone have recommendations on the best way to see Ireland by car? Any good Itenaries people have used? We are looking to go to Kilkenny, Ring of Kerry, Cork, Shannon...

Any advice will help thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving trip in December

In December, it's not light until after 8am and dark by 4pm. It's usually one of the coldest months, although, give Ireland's temperate climate, it rarely gets very cold here - average December day time temperatures are around 8 degrees celsius, and nighttime temperatures around 2 degrees c. Although it can get colder for short spells, the temperature rarely drops below freezing. Rain is a distinct possibility at any time of the years but pretty much a certainty in December. Light levels tend to be low and gloomy, so there are days when it seems never to get fully light, although we do often get some bright, crisp days.

Winter itineraries will be different by necessity than those which work at other times of the year - a number of sights and attractions close for the winter, some B&Bs may not be open for business and sea crossings may be difficult. I'd consider spending some time in cities such as Dublin, Cork and Galway which are open for business year round and offer a range of indoor distractions and respite from inclement weather. These places are also quite buzzy and fun in the run up to Christmas (a huge celebration in Ireland only rivalled by St.Patrick's Day) with seasonal lights and events.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving trip in December

tapl has about said it all for December travel. Even on good days there was a dmapness in the air--the sort you are probably used to living in Rhode Island. I do remember from my years living there in a house with no central heating (more than four feet from the fire and one was glad to have on a heavy sweater and wool skirt or slacks), that it didn't seem much colder out than in and that it was sort of invigorating to get out for a good walk every day. (Of course that was more than 40 years ago and most of my friends have central heating these days, so you will be comfortable in B&Bs or hotels. I remember the cheeriness of the Christmas season and running into Dublin on the train. All the decorations were wonderful and the stores were done up well.

3. Re: Driving trip in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 05:17