We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland in May

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in May

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping that someone may have some ideas for a solo traveller in Ireland with no experience with the country other than guidebooks. My travel dates would probably fall in late May sometime and I seem to be drawn to more of the sites along the west coast and to the southwest corner of the country. Somewhere relative quiet and relaxing. :) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in May

Well late May is the perfect time to come, and is not a particularly busy time. You have a very good chance of getting reasonable weather, and the late spring flowers will be bloom.

I suggest you should visit the Burren and particularly walk and look for the flowers - go to the visitor centre first so you are aware of what you are looking at.

We need a bit more information though, will you have a car, how long will you stay for, are you flying in and out of Shannon, do you want to travel, or stay in one place?

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in May

Hi Doneraile,

Thanks for your response! The flowers sound wonderful, I love to take photos and paint... Perfect atmosphere.

I definitely would plan on having a car to get around, just because I'd like the freedom to go drive if the feeling came over me. And I was hoping to stay in only a couple of place, 2 to 3 places at the most and use them as homebases from which to travel (I'm not one for completely uprooting myself every couple of days). Unfortunately, all the more reasonable airfairs to Ireland fly into Dublin, but I'm hoping that would change. Flying into Shannon seems like the more logical choice if I'm staying in that area.

Thanks again!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,923 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in May

Muckross Park in Killarney is also spectacular in May. The rhododendrons and azaleas are in full bloom and are incredible.

The weather in May is also usually better than many other months with the added advantage that its not peak season yet so you may have many of the attractions, if not to yourself, but sparsely populated.

In our BC years (before children going to school) we used to LOVE travelling in Ireland in May.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in May

May is one of my favourite months here for lots of reasons - good choice !!!

You will be delighted when you choose to spend the extra cash flying into/out of Shannon. GREAT airport for visitors to this country. Small, friendly, really easy to get into and out of. Go for it, especially as you want to concentrate on West/Southwest.

There is so much to see on that side of the country you will have a full itinerary.

Do not worry about the solo aspect of it either. You will find it very relaxing.

The obvious counties to aim for when you start thinking about coming here are Limerick,Clare,Kerry,Cork. They are laid out like a string of pearls all along the West, South West Coast. You could spend a few months in the area, but as your time is limited it is a good idea to have an itinerary.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in May

If you are limiting yourself to 2 places then somewhere around Killarney would cover Kerry and Cork. Somewhere around Galway would cover Clare and Galway. There are many rural options just outside these main cities. Both these places are on main N class roads for transport links.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland in May

Thank you for the responses beanalainn and Bryno!

Would or could you suggest any specific tours? Or is everything pretty well mapped out when it comes to the local sites. I have to admit that going alone is a little bit daunting and I want to avoid feeling afloat in a vast sea of green with no idea as to where I'm going. ;) I'm guessing that the VisitIreland.com website is also good general source of info...I've checked it out, but there doesn't seem to be any reviews of tour companies there. Has anyone heard of the site AuthenticIreland.com? I've seen a couple of their promotions...

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland in May

Oops! Sorry, tony2phones I didn't scroll all the way down the page. :) I'll make a note, near major roads of transportation, would you suggest B&Bs or hotels? I'm guessing you would say that it would depend upon what I'm looking for out the experience. heh But, do you or does anyone else have a preference?

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland in May

Hi curlyj76... I'm also a solo traveler (34 y/o female, Canadian) looking to visit Ireland for the first time next May. If I can get the finances in order (i.e. save every penny between now and then) I'd love to go for 2 weeks. Because I won't be driving I've found all sorts of alternatives that get me to the things I want to see.. perhaps not quite as convenient as having a car to go anywhere I please whenever I want, but, having seen all the posts about the sky-high car rental rates, these options may even work out to be a bit cheaper. My plan for the two week trip is to spend about 5 days in Dublin, using that as a base for day trips to Glendalough (day trip tour), Kilkenny (Irish transit bus) and probably Newgrange (day trip tour). From there I'd take the train to Killarney and spend 3-4 nights, doing organized day trips to the Ring of Kerry, Dingle. From there I'd take the bus to Galway and spend another 3-4 nights, doing day trip tours of the Burren, Connemara and Aran Islands. If it turns out I can't save enough for all of that I have alternate itineraries for 10 day and 7 day trips, still hitting all the highlights.

There are a few companies that do organized tours of these areas... I think Shamrocker and Paddywagon both do multiple day trips so you might want to check them out if you'd prefer to meet up with a group once you get there. It might not offer quite the same amount of quiet and relaxing you mentioned, but it would make things easier in terms of getting to leave all the planning and details up to them.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland in May

I have to confess that when travelling alone I prefer Hotels. B&B tend to be a little out of town and I like the odd drink before bedtime, Drinking and Driving is a no no. Having said that if you are not the nightcap type many B&B/Guest houses are better value for money and sociable, if you decide on locations then you will get good feed back and recommendations for places to stay.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland in May

Hi littleengine, I will definitely look into those two companies. Thanks for the suggestion! My trip is also dependent upon how much money I can save up by next may and unfortunately, it looks like I may only get a week to explore. :( So I need to figure out what exactly I want to see to make sure that I'm not pulling my hair out, being confused, when I get there.