We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for somewhere great to get married

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for somewhere great to get married

My partner and I (ages 54 & 53)are looking for an ideal location to get married next summer.

We will be inviting friends and family from England & Canada so are looking for somewhere with easy access to an airport (within 50 miles or so).

We are not having a big ceremony, what we have in mind is more like a gathering of friends so we'd possibly like to find a property to rent that has a large garden or access to some kind of public outdoor space (3 or 4 bedrooms). Friends will be making their own accommodations arrangements so there needs to be a hotel or B&B within easy access.

In a perfect world we would be looking for a really pretty village by the sea and would like to stay within walking distance to a great pub or two.

Other than that we don't have any preferance. Does anybody have any ideas? This is in the early stages of planning so we are not sure of numbers yet.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Are you looking for somewhere to hold the ceremony or somewhere to stay or both? It's only recently that the law in Ireland has been changed to allow people to marry in venues other than churches or registry offices. But venues do have to be registered (most hotels are) and ceremonies in private dwellings, marquees or outdoor ceremonies are not permitted.

These are the regulations about venues:

www.groireland.ie/guidelines_for_venues.htm

Ireland
Level Contributor
969 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Check out Carlingford, Co. Louth - it would tick many of your boxes. You can rent out Ghan House (www.ghanhouse.com) - beautiful surroundings and great food.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Unless the law has changed,I thought that you had to be resident in a location for a certain amount of time beforehand and if it is to be a church marriage you will have to arrange with a a priest or clergyman in advance to perform the ceremony. Lots of places are nice to get married if you can satisfy the above requirements.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Thanks for the info everyone.

We are going to simplify the whole process by getting married in Canada first. The get together in Ireland is more like an event to celebrate. No priests, no ceremony just a party/meal, a few speaches and a lot of fun. This will be an opportunity for family and friends from both sides of the Atlantic (many of whom have never met) to come together.

As an interesting bit of background, my partner and I were married in 1979, divorced in 1990 and are getting RE married next year!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Hi Andama - Carlingford and the Ghan House look great. Like you said ticks most (if not all) the boxes.

I am having such fun picturing us all there

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Gougane Barra,outside Macroom in Co.Cork.Stunning location.

Its located on a lake,perfect for photos,hotel in the grounds and a pub !

I got married there & it was fab ! We had a small family wedding & travelled in to Macroom to the Castle Hotel afterwards & we were always sorry we didn't stay in the hotel in Gougane Barra for the reception !

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Just read your other post & i have misunderstood your question.As you will already be married before you come to Ireland,Gougane Barra will not be what you are looking for !

Its a location for a party/celebration you are looking for,right ??????

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Hi Mary99,

Yes it is really a party venue I suppose that I am trying to find, this whole project is kind of designing itself as it goes. Neither of us are much for the ceremony side of things. I am originally from Yorkshire (Irish grandfather). Many of our friends and family have connections to Ireland so it just feels like the perfect venue. Many will be spending quite a bit go get to whatever location we pick so we are hoping that those who come the farthest can turn it into a bit of a holiday. The English side will probably fly in and straight out again.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

Mary, that was my first thought too as I have been to a few private family services at the church and to me it is the most idillic place for intimate religious services. Perhaps the Canadian couple would like to renew their vows for all to see and then head over to the pub/hotel to celebrate. I have seen a marquee erected outside the hotel for them to cater to larger wedding groups so I am sure the could organize everything. Here is a link to a photo of the church at Gougan Barra tripadvisor.com/…17061022 and here is a link to the hotel http://www.gouganebarrahotel.com/

Cork Airport is about 45 miles miles away and offers many daily flights to the UK with connections to Canada via London Heathrow and London Gatwick.

Dublin
Level Contributor
912 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for somewhere great to get married

goireland.com/photos/31101_31200/donegal-ent…

This derelict church in this location is my best kept secret. There is a 'rural airport' not too far off too. Donegal Airport.