We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

On our Day 3, we are leaving our hotel in Dublin to go to our hotel in Waterford.

Which road trip will have less scary roads?

We can either

Day 1: Drive from Dublin straight to Kilkenny to Waterford, and then

Day 2: Drive from Waterford to New Ross and back to Waterford.

Or

Day 1: Drive from Dublin straight to New Ross to Waterford, and then

Day 2: Drive from Waterford to Kilkenny, and then go back to Waterford.

We will make stop along the way, regardless of the switch plan.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

Neither route has "scary" roads, as you will generally be on either motorways (highways) or N rated roads (National primary roads).

If you head from Dublin to Waterford via Kilkenny, the first 40 miles or so are on motorways with the remainder on National roads - though some of these National roads are currently being upgraded to motorways.

Travelling via New Ross, the first 25 miles or so heading south from Dublin are on motorway or dual carriageway. As with the Kilkenny option, other parts of this route are currently being upgraded.

On both routes, the parts which are awaiting upgrading are a little narrow in places but definitely are an easy drive.

The stories you might read about scary roads in Ireland usually refer to small rural side roads where the proximity of hedgerows etc, combined with the narrowness of the roads makes for difficult driving for some nervous visitors.

2. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 06:21
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
869 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

There are no scary roads in Ireland only scary drivers.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

There are really no 'scary' bits on either route. However, you will pass through a number of 'accident black spots'. These are parts of the roads where accidents regularly occur mainly due to speeding, or people overtaking where they are not supposed to, or tailgating. Sometimes it is the wider, faster roads which are more dangerous. Just take your time and remember that it is acceptable to pull over to the margin when going slower than the rest of the traffic (when it is safe to do so), to allow others to overtake you safely.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,688 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

Personally I am happier rushing down winding narrow roads,than driving in and out of Dublin. Having said that if you can drive in New York city there should be nothing Ireland can throw at you.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

After spending years of driving to Dublin via Mullinavat,Ballyhale,Thomastown,Gowran before FINALLY getting on to a decent road just outside Carlow (it can be a nightmare if you get stuck behind a lorry) we now go Waterford-New Ross-Enniscorthy-Goery & link up with the Arklow by pass which in turn links up with the M50 in to Dublin & on to Belfast.IMO the stress free way to travel to Dublin from Waterford.

So,coming from Dublin you would get on the M50 & head Southbound following the sign for Wexford & once you reach Enniscorthy you turn off for New Ross & then on to Waterford.Waterford to Kilkeeny is direct going through the dreaded roads of Mullinavat & Ballyhale.

If it was me that is the option i would choose.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

Thanx all so much. I wrote lots of stuff down.

No, I never drive in NYC. I don't think anyone in my family ever has. And am always amazed at people who do. I admire taxi and bus drivers around here but don't envy them.

8. Re: Which trek has less screams?:Dublin to Kilkenny or to N Ross

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 07:20