We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

m50

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
34 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
m50

leaving belfast can i travel to gorey co. wexford without paying the m50 toll charge.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: m50

Yes you can but I would not bother because you will either have to pay a Toll using the Tunnel and/or the East Link bridge or drive right through the City Centre and most Irish people do not like driving in Dublin as it is.

Also I would consider the miles per gallon you would receive from driving through Dublin City Centre as opposed to the M50 will cost you more than using the M50 and paying the toll.

Are you planning on avoiding the Toll on the M1 because that will also have the same repercussions heading through the bottleneck of Drogheda.

Like I said, If you stick to the motorways and pay your toll you will use less fuel meaning you save more money.

Just so you know the M1 Toll only accepts EURO.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: m50

I doubt if you would use more fuel going through the city, it is about half the distance of using the M50. But it is generally quicker on the M50. The port tunnel/Eastlink route is quick and tolls can be paid at the gates. Otherwise just drive down Gardiner Street in Dublin. But if you don't already know this route then navigation is not that easy and then the M50 would be a lot more straightforward.

The M50 toll can be paid in lots of shops etc. For instance you could just stop at the petrol station in Kilmacanogue if you are heading to Gorey.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: m50

Pay the toll & make life easy for yourself !

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: m50

Anything is possible but I don't think the effort required would be worth saving 3 euro.

If you come down the M1 you are straight onto the M50 and it leads directly onto the N11 which takes you straight to Gorey. Essentially you only have to make one turn in the entire journey!

Unless you really like making detours I would stick to that route. Signposting in Ireland is not great and unless you have satnav you are likely to get lost.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: m50

We travel to Belfast regularly & always go on the M50 from Gorey,it really is worth the toll charge.I have yet to get delayed in traffic & its completely hassle free ! Driving in through Dublin IMO is a nightmare !

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
34 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: m50

thanks to all that replied, but on the way back to belfast where do i pay the m50 toll charge.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: m50

For info on the toll charges go to www.eflow.ie

Roscommon
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: m50

There is a facility on aaroadwatch.ie/routes which produces a route without either motorways or tolls or both.

9. Re: m50

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 05:18