We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European vaction with teenagers

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
European vaction with teenagers

I am planning to take a European vaction with teenagers around a year from now, and I was looking for some advice. Like to spend about 21 days including flight. Looking to free travel with the euro rail. Like to visit the most places we can to get an great overall experience of Europe. On a budget since having to save for a few years. Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: European vaction with teenagers

Knowlesstalk - I've take our children through Europe by train, and it's been great.

This is a good resource:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

seat61.com/Thomas-Cook-European-Timetable.htm

If you want to tour Ireland, a car rental is a great way to go - as many of our treasures are not readily accessable by public transportation...and with a family, it may not work out any more expensive.

Ryanair offer an inexpensive way to move from one place to another, so if you register with them, you will find out when their sales occur.

http://www.ryanair.com/

We combined European multi destinations with carriers such as Ryanair and train, and it works well.

Have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c71046/Irelan…

Also, as you probably know, the Euro rail service from St Pancras gets you to mainland Europe.

There are hostels in good locations operated by set ups such as:

http://www.anoige.ie/

that can make things cheaper, and student discounted travel.

http://www.studenttravelcard.ie/

This is another useful resource:

…usit.ie/holidays/worldwide-holidays.aspx#EUR

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: European vaction with teenagers

Aaaaghhh - you're all over the place knowlesstak!!!!

:)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: European vaction with teenagers

Make sure your offspring have International Student Cards.

They give teenagers discount on busses and free admission to many museums and galleries in France.

That will save a lot!!

Take a look at www.usit.ie I'm sure there is a North American version. From the USIT site you will be able to see the discounts available to young and not so young people. It should give you some background information.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: European vaction with teenagers

"about 21 days including flight. Looking to free travel with the euro rail. Like to visit the most places we can to get an great overall experience of Europe"

Absolutely not! You could travel through Europe for months and still not have seen/experienced it all. Europe may look small to you on the map but it is a vastly diverse continent regarding everything from culture, people, landscape, to food and God knows what... There are huge differences not just from country to country but within countries.

You have 21 days including travel. Please think and try to decide which countries you would like to visit. Then try to take as much time there as possible. Please don't be one of the "Oh it's Friday so it must be France" brigade.

I'm not being disrespectful to your wishes and dreams, I'm just trying to put a practical aspect on your plans.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
France
France
Europe
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: European vaction with teenagers

Lol, I wondered what you meant with your second post Ferdia, then I saw the posting list...21 days...21 years? When do multiple posts get to be spam :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: European vaction with teenagers

I fully agree that you can only have a small part of the European experience in as short a period as 21 days. It is probably better not to flit around from place to place. I also think that on a rail pass it is not always sensible to go to the "big" places. Rome, Paris etc need a week each to see are expensive and and are readily visited by air at any time. Smaller places away from major airports are ideal to visit by rail, also think of using the pass for day trips. Some countries have expensive trains, e.g. Switzerland, Germany, and the rial pass can save a lot, others e.g. have cheaper trains and the pass is less advantage. There is also the possibilty of taking rail trips through the Alps etc and this is also attractive.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
New York
Level Contributor
184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: European vaction with teenagers

I am not clear on what you are looking for. We just took three teens to Ireland for 17 nights this past August. I could tell you all about that.

However, if you are looking to move around to different places, we did something like that in 2004. My boys were 15, 12 and 8 at the time. I wanted to limit the stops somewhat, but give them different "looks." We did 4 nights in the Bernese Oberland (outside of Interlaken), 6 nights in Paris, 1 night in Normandy and 4 nights outside of Amsterdam. We took high speed trains from Bern to Paris and then from Paris to Amsterdam. We rented cars in Switzerland and the Netherlands.

The kids did all sorts of different stuff and they loved it. I can tell you more if you are interested.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: European vaction with teenagers

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly look into it, and next time I won't do a posting for every country. LOL

9. Re: European vaction with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 05:16