We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

I can fly into either Shannon, Dublin or Belfast for ~30 hour stay (Sun morning to Mon eve). I'd like to see some scenic countyside as well as I am hoping to see some cultural city(ies) & towns. I am thinking maybe I can rent a car from Shannon & go see Cliffs of Moher, and/or Galway, Dingle and/or some other scenic sites. I'll have Sun 12 noon - MON 5PM. I can also fly into Dublin or Belfast for a similar duration. Would you guys suggest the Shannon trip or Dublin or Belfast? Also, please suggest on what I can cover, must sees, town to consider for accomodation, & any other tips?

Thanks in Advance!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,701 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

If at all possible my choice would be to fly into Dublin and out of Shannon. Land Dublin spend the afternoon and night there, Across to Galway early morning down along the coast and past the Cliffs to Shannon for your return or across via Cashel to Shannon. But then I don't mind long drives on hectic trips.

Flying into and out of Dublin you could do Dublin down to Waterford and back via Kilkenny. From Belfast you could do the North Antrim coast up to Giants Causeway. Shannon would give you the option of Clare and the Cliffs or Kerry and Dingle, even I wouldn't attempt both.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

If you could give dates it will help us to advise better.

Silverstrand

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

Dates would be

For Shannon, Sun Nov 15 arriving 11:30 AM

departing next day 5 PM

I am quite fascinated by the green cliffs along the coastline, so I am thinking, Shannon is a good choice. I might go to the CLiffs of Moher, may also try Ring of Kerry/Kilarney, Galway or some other scenic route/nice towns there. Please let me know what u suggest.

Also, I am staying for ~30 hours. If I were to rent a car for 24 hours, (say starting 4pm Sun) to save 2-day charge, what might some option. Can I take a bus to a town like Galway/Limerick (even see Shannon) for a few hours & then pick the car.

Any suggestions are welcome, inculding Belfast/Dublin.

Thx!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,701 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

For the few euro saved on car hire and the time constraints hire for 2days.

Leave Shannon heading north on the M18,take the N85 either lunch in Ennis or continue to Lahinch, the cliffs are 5miles north. after the cliffs head south down the coast on the N65 past Quilty then R483 down to and across the Shannon ferry. From Tarbert take the N69 to Tralee then N22 to Killarney for the night. Thats 4+hours 140miles on the 1st day excluding stops. Day 2 Ring of Kerry or Dingle peninsular then back to Shannon via Castle Ireland N21 and Limerick thats at least another 5 hours driving.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

The last time I ran a confrence in Limerick we brought a lot of attendees out to the Foynes Flying Boat Museme and then to Bunratty Castle for dinner that evening and next morning went up to the Cliffs of Moher so I would say fly into Shannon the museme is owned by Maureen OHara .

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

So, you think, it's doable! Is this what it might look like:

- Pickup car @ Shannon ~12:30

- Arrive @ Cliffs of Moher 2PM, spend an hour

- Arrive in Killarney by 6PM

- Next day, start 7-7:30 for ROK

- Complete the loop 1-1:30, head back to Shannon

- Arrive @ SHannon Airport by 3:30

Pls let me know!

Also, is it faster to take the ferry (with wait times) when coming to Killarney from Cliffs of Moher or coming via Limerick would be be better?

Thx!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

fly into Shannon, and if you must, get the car - lovely scenery and places to visit in both Clare and Galway, and Galway is only an hour drive away from Shannon. thats your best bet imho

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,701 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

Tight but possible do the ring anticlockwise at this time in the morning, plus the shortest route back to Shannon via Limerick. Definitely the ferry from the Cliffs, Details and Timetable:

http://www.shannonferries.com/

9. Re: Shannon, Dublin or Belfast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2010, 05:16