We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

PA
1 post
Save Topic
Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

My husband and I are thinking of taking a self-guided tour of Ireland in May of 2010. Has anyone ever used Exploring Ireland's self-guided tours? Will you please give us the highs and lows of this company?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

I am assuming you mean the Self Drive option. I have no knowledge of the operation but it appears they plan your route and accommodation, this takes away the role of TA to a degree as they have it planned for you. If you know the accommodations they use you could ask peoples opinions on these. Personally I think the planning is a key part of the holiday experience and having looked at a couple of the outlines I would prefer my own agenda.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

We are using them for our trip May 2010. Guess we'll see.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

We don't have experience with that company, but whatever you do, avoid Dan Dooley - see our post for Dan Dooley Car Rental RIP OFF!!

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

My husband and I have traveled to Ireland now three times, once on a tour, then with a driver, and this time on an Exploring Ireland self-drive two week vacation through Exploring Ireland. I have dealt exclusively with Robin Shortt, the owner, and he is a very experienced, top-notch professional. He was diligent in his follow-up before our travels and we have had no issues at all during our trip here. The quality of the accommodations were fantastic and the price was out of this world economical. We will do business again with Exploring Ireland and Robin the next time we come here. It has been a real pleasure!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

why don't you look at some of their offerings, see if there are some things you like, then get online and do it yourself....it is less costly to plan you own trip....

if you have some places in mind, come back here and i promise you will get the best advise anywhere and you won't have to pay for it.....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

I've just realized the OP is from 2009!!!!

Can TA please close this. Thanks

Edited: 26 May 2010, 15:27
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

We just got back from our Ireland holiday and used Exploring Ireland. We used them mainly because we didn't have the time to sit and research places to stay. Exploring Ireland was great! They booked all of our rooms, we stayed in both bed & breakfasts and hotels as well as set up our car rental. All the places we stayed we're fantastic! We gave them an idea of where we wanted to go, what we wanted to see and they did the rest. I actually enjoyed not having to research hotels and B&B's and vouchers were a great way of not carrying a huge amount of cash.

NY
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

We are in the process of choosing between a local travel agency and Exploring Ireland for an upcoming self drive tour of Ireland. Can you tell me about the places you stayed with Exploring Ireland? Do you have any recommendations about a self drive tour? How did the Euro to US $ conversion go for you, did you use a US credit card?

Thank you

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

mmmm...just noticed mscavecreek, one posting...sounds like an advertisment to me??????.....never posted before, praised the owner.....speaks of trip as if in the middle of it at time of posting?????

BEWARE!!!!...we are here to give honest opinions not sell tours of exploring ireland.....grrrrrrr....

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring Ireland self-drive tours

Oh my, I soooo disagree! I have been to Cave Creek, AZ and it is a gorgeous area in the foothills outside of Scottsdale. Also, if you read the hotel reviews and have been to Ireland, they are spot on!

I have been a member since 2003 and am pretty savvy at picking up on advertisements, but in this case I think that we should be welcoming a first time user! Cheers!