We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

I posted an itinerary last week and I got some really great ideas from the regulars on this forum. To rehash, my husband and I are spending half of our July honeymoon in Ireland driving from city to city. Kilkenny is one of the places we are excited to stay in!

I would like some advice about staying in Kilkenny. We will be there for one night and I can't decide if we should stay in or out of town. We plan on visiting a pub and knocking back a few, and we don't want to worry about driving back to our B&B. On the other hand I don't want to stay somewhere that is too loud to sleep (we've stayed in places like this before and it really is hard to sleep with music and trucks rumbling by)

So what is a great B&B that is in town and a great B&B nearby but out of the main areas? What are the arguements for being in town vs. nearby? Am I totally offbase worrying about this? :)

Thanks! (I would have posted this in the Kilkenny forum, but it hasn't been getting much traffic)

Naas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

I am not familiar with B&Bs in the Kilkenny area, but I have stayed at the Killkenny Ormonde Hotel. They provide free parking in the multistory car park opposite the hotel and their breakfast will set you up for the day.It is located in the heart of Kilkenny city with less than a 5 minute walk to the castle. Their rates vary between midweek and weekends but I have always found that if you give them a call they will give you a better deal.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

I would stay in the town & a good & popular option is Butler Guesthouse www.butler.ie

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

I live very close to Kilkenny, if you google B/B Kilkenny and select one in your price range I will try to help you decide. Avoid any place in John St. if you would like a good nights sleep.

Cheers

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,982 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

2nd vote for the Ormond or the Hibernian which offers the same car park.

http://www.kilkennyormonde.com/

http://www.kilkennyhibernianhotel.com/

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,099 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

Last April we stayed at the Abbey Lodge B&B in Kilkenny (which deservedly gets great reviews on this site.) It is about a 5 minute walk to town and is located across from a park, so it's quiet.

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

last sept. we stayed at the carriglea b&b and loved it. it was very quiet, located right across from kilkenny castle's park, and only about a 5, maybe 10 minutes, walk to get to restaurants, pubs, etc.

ny
Level Contributor
637 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

We stayed at Rosquil last April and loved it. Short walk into town. clean and quiet.

8. Re: Need some advice about staying in Kilkenny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:17