We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House versus hotel rental

PA
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
House versus hotel rental

I am traveling to Ireland in Aug. 2010 for a wedding. I am looking at renting a house for the week. The wedding is in the Markree Castle so we want to stay nearby. (Sligo)

Is it better to rent a house versus hotel? Houses look very nice online. There are 6 in my party including a 6 year old. Any advise on a house or hotel would be appreciated.

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House versus hotel rental

I Would go for a house every time, but it depends what you want, in a house you can please yourselves more and your 6 year old can run riot without being asked to be quiet or get disapproving looks, you have more freedom in your own house. OK, you have to get your own meals ,but self catering doesnt mean you have to cook, you just have the choice, I go self catering,but never cook a thing!! Go out for breakfast and evening meal and make a sandwich for lunch, you have a lot more freedom.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: House versus hotel rental

You see I'd prefer a hotel myself. My idea of a holiday is not having to clean or make beds.

It's a personl choice.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House versus hotel rental

If you want to stay nearby the Markree the closest place would be in their cottages. And if price is a consideration of your as to which one, hotel or house, is better: 3 double rooms for 6 nights at the hotel runs about E3510 (or 2 doubles plus single plus child runs E3264) where as you can get their 9 person Granary for E900. More info at http://homefarm.markreecastle.ie/

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House versus hotel rental

The Markree estate cottages flagged up by tonyirish would be our recommendation too - we've been inside one when they first opened and they're very chic and stylishly decorated and are also generous in size. They are attached to the riding stables too so if your little one is interested in horses then bingo!

If you don't want to be within the Markree demesne all week and are interested in a house rental then have a look at http://www.daft.ie/ in the Holiday Homes in Sligo section. If you need any specific information about distances and locale facilities about any house you may find then feel free to contact us here and we'll do our best - we live quite near to Markree and spend a lot of time there (in both it's public bar and it's grounds) and in the surrounding areas...

Edited: 11 February 2010, 17:24
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House versus hotel rental

I have never cleaned or made beds on holiday, your'e only there a week.

You do have to wash up your own coffee cups though................

PA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: House versus hotel rental

Thank you for your input. It is very helpful. I think there would be much more freedom for my six year old. As far as upkeep that doesn't matter to me when I am on vacation.

PA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: House versus hotel rental

I contacted the castle to get information on accomidations. Thank you.

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House versus hotel rental

Rent the house or as it ir refered to in Ireland, self catering home.

9. Re: House versus hotel rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:17