We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighter beer in Ireland

Chicago
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Topic
Lighter beer in Ireland

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Ireland over the summer, but am worried about what to drink in the pubs. I don't know that much about beer (I usually drink Miller Lite), so forgive me if my terminology isn't completely accurate.

I can't drink heavy stout or dark beers, so Guinness is out. I'll try it, of course, but I don't see myself drinking that all night at a pub. From what I've read, most of the beers over there are of the heavy or bitter variety. I don't want to have to drink Bud Light, as I'd rather try for some authenticity while there. Are there any beers that are a bit lighter in flavor that won't make me look like a wimpy tourist when I order it? Any ideas?

Thanks!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Philadelphia
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

Hi. I think Harp is really good and light. I am leaving tomorrow for Ireland and can't wait!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

Have a Harp.

Virginia
Level Contributor
917 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

I think you'll find some kind of lager almost any place you go. Harp will be just fine. Smithwicks is a nice ale, much lighter in color and flavor than Guinness, but more adventurous than Bud Light. On the other hand, your american accent will identify you as a tourist no matter what you drink. Just go, relax, and enjoy. Oh, and if you really ARE spending long evenings in the pub, be sure you're within walking distance of your bed. I've read many times here that enforcement of drunk-driving laws is very serious in Ireland.

Chicago
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

Thanks all. I know it'll be obvious I'm a tourist; that's fine. I just don't want to look like a wimpy tourist. :) Some of the bars near me serve Smithwick's, so I'll give that a try, as well as Harp. And don't worry - I will not be drinking and driving. I plan on walking to all pubs, if I'm out for the night.

Again, thanks for the tips!

ohio
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

Moxie,

Just remember when you order that Smithwick’s to pronounce it as

"Smitticks", not “Smith-wicks” and you’ll be fine.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,121 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

American beers are available in a lot of pubs, you'll see lots of Irish, especailly young people, enjoying a bottle of Budweiser.

A surprising number of people choose not to drink alcohol in the pub for various reasons, and no one pays much attention to what anyone else is drinking unless you're buying a round and need to know.:)

I've seen Coors Lite bottles in pubs as well as other familiar options.

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

Oh god no, not Harp, it's vile!! Nobody I know drinks it and most people laugh at it if you mention it. All the big European name light beers like Heineken and Carlsberg will be available, you could try more interesting unusual beers like Leffe or Hoegaarden. You should be able to get Miller in a bottle and Corona too. Light beers are not a strong point in Ireland, there was a microbrewery in Newbridge which used to brew a beer called Brew #1 which made it as far as being stocked in some pubs, think it was discontinued a while back though

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

Or Bulmers cider (definitely alcoholic!)

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

we have bud here too :)

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lighter beer in Ireland

I would second the idea of trying the Bullmers cider or Carlsberg beer if it is available.