We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

Ohio
Level Contributor
432 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

How do you make a call from your cell phone while in Ireland to someone in ireland? I know that this might sound like a stupid question...but I have previously had much difficulty in placing a call from a cell phone while in Ireland to someone in ireland. The calls would just not go through. Obviously, I was doing something wrong! I have no difficulty calling someone in ireland from the USA. I know that this question was answered a while back, but I can not seem to find that posting now.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

first, do you have "roaming" on your phone - does your phone company allow you to make international calls on your phone.

Second - you might be in Ireland trying to call the person standing next to you but because it is an american cell trying to call an Irish phone you still have to include all the international codes.

Ohio
Level Contributor
432 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

Hi Whales....I have an unlocked phone that I have put in an Irish sim card for use in Ireland. I can receive International calls, but I will have a netbook with me for placing international calls home with using Skype. However, I take it that I could make International calls from it, but don't intend to, unless it is an emergency. The sim card is an O2 card. So...if you wanted, say to make a call to Kilkenny while you are in Galway...hypothetically...how would you do this? Here in the USA, we have to put in area codes with a 1 before them and then the number. Is it the same in Ireland? thanks, for your help.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

No, area codes are not used on mobile phones within Ireland. When you are given a mobile phone number it will have a 3 digit bit at the beginning - for example 087, 086, you just call that plus the number.

If you are phoning a land line from a mobile then you do need to put in the area code, even if you are in the same area, so for example you would have to put in the Kilkenny code even if you were in Kilkenny. So for Kilkenny you would ring 056 and then the number.

Ringing a land line from a land line you do not put in the area code if you are ringing from the same area.

Ohio
Level Contributor
432 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

OK...that helps. But, what if the area code does not have a 0 before the first 2 numbers? Such as, Dingle appears to be 66 and then a 7 digit number and Cahir is 52 and then a 7 digit number. Would you add a 0 to the 66 and 52 and then phone the number, as in 066 and 052 even if it does not appear in the phone listing for a B&B? For the most part, I will be dialing from a cell to a land line. Also, how would I dial those numbers if I skyped them from my netbook? Would I use the country code and number as if I were in the USA calling them with skype through the internet?

I know that this all seems like "nitpicking", but I found it extremely frustrating previously in my inability to contact B&Bs to cancel due to an emergency because I could not get the cell phone with an Irish sim card to connect to land lines. I appreciate everyones patience with me regarding this which should be something very simple. Thanks, for all the help.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

All area codes have a 0 in front of them, but this gets dropped if dialling internationally. So your 66 code in Dingle is actually 066, but dialling from outside the country would be 66. Places often put the 0 in brackets when quoting an international number, for example +353 (0)66.....

Edited: 16 March 2010, 18:38
Ohio
Level Contributor
432 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

Thank you so much!! I finally understand and hopefully, will not have any problems using the phone this time.

7. Re: How do you make a call from your cell in ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 07:16