We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Insurance

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Insurance

I'm curious if anyone has used "insurance4carhire", a company in Great Britain that covers excess on damage to the rental vehicle including the undercarriage, excess on theft, and damage to windows and tires. They have a policy, Europe 31, that includes Ireland and costs only $49EU. Any word how good this company is if one has to file a claim? It's much less than the car rental company's cost. Thanks.

Traveler Jeff

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Insurance

Have you read the other threads on the subject, for instance

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k181914…

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Insurance

Thanks. I missed that one.

Traveler Jeff

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Insurance

Jeff

The main snag/drawback with taking out a third party insurance is that if there is cause for making a claim the car rental/hire company will charge/cash in the deposit that they have 'held' on your credit card as a requirement of not taking out their own insurance and you then need to get the third party insurance company to claim that back and re-imburse you - this process can be lengthy (we're talking months rather than weeks with a lot of communications back and forth) and the third party company will want an EXACT run down of what happened and when etc. The main benefit is the price being cheaper. For peace of mind we always take out the car hire company's own policy at the desk on arrival even if we have booked the car itself through a third party such as an airline website - life's too short to be chasing up claims and providing evidence and such like...

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Insurance

From today's Daily Telegraph, advice on Finding the Best Deal when Renting/Hiring a Car and some discussion on that old bugbear: Insurance. Although it's written for a UK readership, suggestions and comments are relevant to renting/hiring anywhere:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/7471310/Ca…

florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Insurance

I am still confused...we have CDW insurance through World Mastercard. Do we still need additional insurance to cover in case we hit someone and they have damages? Does CDW cover someone else's claims if it was our fault?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,391 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Insurance

cdw covers accidents but it has a huge deductible, like euro 1200-1500 (u.s. $1500-$2000)....they will place this hold on your credit card unless you get "super" cdw, which has a deductible of euro 0-100......and if you have an accident or damage of any kind they will keep you entire deductible....so you have to decide which is more advantageous for you...

London
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Insurance

Claims history for insurance4CarHire

I used Insurance4CarHire for a trip to Greece. Unfortunately I scraped the side of the car on a wall and had to pay the excess to the car hire company. On returning to the UK I filed the claim with Insurance4CarHire and they paid up within the month. The downsides are that you have to pay the excess at the time and have to get the right documents (Insurance4carhire Certificate of Insurance, Rental Contract, Invoices confirming the amount paid in respect of Damage, Rental Company accident damage report, police report if necessary). The positive is that this company looks likes it pays up quickly and really does cover you for the excess at a cheap rate. I would highly recommend Insurance4CarHire.

8. Re: Rental Car Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:42