We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multiple itinerary musings/questions

new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
multiple itinerary musings/questions

OK we booked the flights and are now trying to nail down itinerary and hotels. I have a few questions as we go through a possible itinerary. We are traveling with our 12 year old daughter and are trying to strike a balance between seeing stuff and not doing excessive driving.

day 1 & 2 Stay in Dublin city center

day 3 get car and drive to Kilkenny, possibly via Wicklow, thinking of staying in Hotel Kilkenny or Kilkenny Ormonde. Open to other suggestions here.

day 4 drive to Cork via Cashel, probably stay at Haymarket Manor. If we are up to it, have dinner and walk around Kinsale in the evening.

day 5 drive to Killarney. we would either spend the morning in Cork before leaving, or get to Killarney early and do the National Park and other stuff in Killarney area, or take the scenic route to Killarney and get there later in the day. Current hotel picks: Killarney Park, Loch Lein, or Killeen House for hotel splurge.

day 6 Possibly do the ROK. I have some interest in seeing Skellig Michael, but am not sure if it's practical. Am I correct you would probably have to leave Killarney at about 8AM, rush through half the Ring to get to Portmagee, and probably do the same on the way back to Killarney? Is this a doable day or too much for the family? Am I correct there will be no puffins on the Skelligs at the end of August (the time of our trip)? That would be sad. Alternatively, we could spend more time in the Killarney area and take int slower.

day 7 drive to Dingle, Slea Head in the afternoon, and back to Killarney. I know people advocate staying in Dingle, but I am thinking to use Killarney as the base as it seems there is no advantage in terms of our day 8 drive whether we leave from Dingle or Killarney, and it will be one less check-out/check-in to deal with.

day 8 drive to County Clare. Longest drive of the trip I think. If we stay in or near Doolin, I guess we would stop at the Cliffs and do the Shannon ferry. Should we stay in a B&B in Doolin so we can walk to the pubs, or go more upscale and stay in a country house such as Gregans or Ballinalacken?

day 9 Burren/possibly Aran islands. I am thinking the family would like to do horseback riding for an hour or so on the Burren. Can you do an Aran Island trip in just an afternoon, or is it a full day excursion?

day 10 We have to stay in at least one castle hotel, so we probably would splurge for Dromoland. During the day we could do Bunratty or other stuff in the Shannon/Limerick area, possibly visit Adare. The other possibility would be to check out of our Western Clare hotel, drive up to Galway, and spend some time up there before circling back to Dromoland. Now our flight the next day from Shannon leaves at 1:00PM, so I guess we could even stay further away from the airport and still make our flight. So the other possibility would be to stay overnight at Ashford Castle or some other place in or near Galway, With this limited time, is it worth trying to go further north to Galway/Mayo, or should we just stick with the first idea of spending the day near Dromoland?

day 11 depart Shannon at 1:00PM for the US.

The other possibility is to skip Cork (although my wife favors going there), or spend only 2 nights in Killarney, which would allow us to spend more time in Galway/Mayo. Tough decision. Opinions?

Thanks for your help.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

if you want a beautiful hotel in Killarney then head for the Lake Hotel - its beautiful and on its own grounds - watch the deer walk all around the place every evening. (have you even been to an old inn in northern new england - its like that).

Also don't bother just coming up to Galway for a couple of hours - if you get to Galway then stay overnight - you could stay in Connemara which is beautiful - try Abbeyglen Castle Hotel or try Ballinahinch Castle Hotel which is stunning. No point in rushing to Galway to rush back down again same day. Galway needs time to soak and savour the atmosphere.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

I would just spend Days 8-10 in Co. Clare.......the Aran Islands would prob take the better part of a day......I don't think you can horseback ride in the Burren for an hour - it's a very rugged terrain.....

Be aware that the check-in times at Irish airports are at least 3 hours....so don't stay too far away.......

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,699 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

Re your Day 7, I think you are sensible to avoid an extra check in and check out. You will get from Killarney to Dingle in an hour (if you can resist stopping to admire the views). Allow yourself a good 4-5 hours to leisurely enjoy Slea Head.

In terms of your Day 8 journey, it makes little difference time-wise whether you leave from Killarney or Dingle - in fact it's probably easier from Killarney

new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

Thanks for the help. So I shouldn't go to Galway unless I'm prepared to spend the night. Seems reasonable. Is one night sufficient? I imagine if I am based in Doolin, it will take a couple of hours to get into the area north of Galway, and a similar length of time to get back to Dromoland or Shannon.

Sounds like I would have to sacrifice Cork or do 1 less night in Killarney to fit in Galway. Preferences?

Also, any opinions on the 1 day journey to the Skelligs? Or the question of the based base for Clare?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,699 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

If you want to see seabirds, there's a 3 hour eco-our by boat from Dingle and Dunquin

http://www.dinglebaycharters.com/

new york
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

Interesting idea. I am interested in Skellig Michael for the climb as well, but it is a lot of work to get there. If the puffins were there, it would be a no-brainer, my kid would love to go :)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

The Skellig boats may not sail if the weather is poor, or if they do you might not be able to land.

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

When is Puffin Season on Skellig Michael?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

If you are basing yourselves in Doolin I think I would be inclined to get a B& B near the village. There are some really nice B&B's to choose from!

There is a list on this previous thread.

tripadvisor.ie/…16802467

As Dromoland Castle is near Shannon Airport why not stay there for your last night!

Edited: 25 March 2010, 23:54
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: multiple itinerary musings/questions

www.dodingle.com & www.dinglenews.com are 2 very good sites,you may find them helpful.

The route planner on www.aaroadwatch.ie is also very good,it will give you approx times & distances for your journey.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 14:57