We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

We will be traveling from Killarney to Doolin on Easter Sunday and initially were thinking of driving so we could stop at Bunratty Castle. But after reading some posts we are questioning whether taking the ferry from Tarbert would be worth the money to save some time and see some less visited sites and then get to the Cliffs and Burren area. How is traffic on Easter?

We were looking forward to Bunratty Castle from what I have read but not am not sure if it's worth the extra time? Any input is appreciated!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

The traffic Easter Sunday will be fairly sparce around Kerry, I'd imagine. I'd suggest you take the ferry. This cuts a lot of driving for you and it's a great experience for any visitor. Bunratty is fiine and I regularly stop at the coffee shop there and love chatting to people. On balance, I'd recommend the ferry for convenience and for the experience.

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,281 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

The ferry is fabulous and doesn't cost that much.

Bunratty is very much worth seeing.

Usually Bunratty has an Easter Egg hunt and the Easter Bunny is present (or they have something similar) so it might be quite busy on Easter Sunday.

But generally the roads will be fine. A lot of families will have a big family meal either in a restaurant or at home that day.

If you don't want to take the ferry, you can also see Adare village on the way www.adarevillage.com

If you don't feel like fighting with the Easter Bunny lol!! then the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher and walking on Lahinch beach etc will certainly enthrall you.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

Just a note on Easter Sunday traffic: if you are travelling in the morning, indeed up to 1pm, you will meet a lot of traffic as Mass ends in various towns and villages.The churches in Listowel and Tarbert, for example, are on your route.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,712 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

I would always recommend the Ferry.

But you are planning on calling at Bunratty so that changes things. I would head up to Tarbet but would not take the Ferry, rather I would follow the N69 along the south bank of the Shannon and through Limmerick to Bunratty. Then via Ennis across the bottom edge of the Burren to Doolin.

Crossing via the Ferry would mean you dropping back down to Bunratty from Ennis and doubling back on yourself. If you had more time I would recommend you stop off at Foynes for the Flying boat museum.

http://www.flyingboatmuseum.com/

Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

Do you need a reservation to take a care accross on the Ferry?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

"Do you need a reservation to take a care accross on the Ferry?"

Raft: You don't need a reservation for the carferry fom Tarbert to Killimer :-)

http://www.shannonferries.com/

Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

Thank you! We are spending 2 nights in Dingle and then driving to Galway. I was thinking maybe to spend a night somewhere between those two locations to break up the drive. Do you have any recomenndations, that wouldn't be too touristy. WE will want to see the Cliffs of Moeher but would like to kind of stay away from the crowds for lodging.

8. Re: Killarney to Doolin...Ferry or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:18