We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

Chicago
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Topic
Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

I've seen these mentioned several times in guidebooks and on this site. I've even read about some bars that post signs forbidding hen and stag parties.

I get that hen parties are women and stag parties are guys. But are they big groups of married women and married men? Single women and single men? Is there a minimum number that qualifies your group as a hen or stag party? I'm just curious as to why they're not appreciated in some places or why they're mentioned so often.

My friend and I are going to Ireland this summer. We're both 31 year-old single women, but I'm hoping that doesn't qualify us as a hen party! :)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

Moxie, it's not a silly question.

Stag parties are parties for a guy about to get married. They take place the evening before the wedding (explaining the glazed look in the groom's eyes on his wedding day), are normally organised by the best man and usually mean a visit to as many pubs as you can possibly walk or stagger to. A stag party can also take place several days before the wedding, so there's more scope for shennanigans.

Hen parties are parties for a woman about to get married. They take place the evening before the wedding (explaining the glazed look in the bride's eyes on her wedding day [usually covered over by an expert make-up person]), are organised by the maid-of-honour and usually mean a visit to as many pubs as you can possibly walk or stagger to. A hen party can also take place several days before the wedding, so there's more scope for shennanigans.

Because of the shennanigans some hotels/B&B will not accept stag/hen partiy bookings.

The two of you don't qualify as a hen party, unless you dance around skimpily dressed with "L" signs stuck to your body clutching a blow-up guy under your arm. So no problem with accommodation or pubs!

Chicago
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

Oh, I get it - bachelor parties and bachelorette parties! I've never heard those referred to as stag and hen parties before. Good to know. And no, we'll not be skimpily dressed nor will we be carrying blow-up guys, so I think we're safe.

Thanks for the clarification, Clauds!

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

Last summer my 18 year old son and I were waiting for our room in Edinburgh and a hen party came in, the bride to be all decked out in a tiara and boa and a drink in each hand. My poor son didn't quite know what to think. I told him it was a hen party, totally forgetting that we don't use the term over here. Once he got it he thought it was a funny term and now that's what he calls said parties here.

Chicago
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

It is a great term. I'm definitely going to use it from now on!

5. Re: Silly question - What are hen and stag parties?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2010, 05:18