We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

We leave next week, so I've been watching the weather so I can decide what to pack. Temps seem quite low to me, or are they really normally this cool at this time of year? Is it a late spring, and what is blooming now? Thanks.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

I wouldn't say that it has been a cool spring. Growth was delayed because of the unusually harsh winter.

As regards what is blooming, daffodils are finished, furze is in bloom, hedgerows like fuschia are beginning to fill out with leaf, lilac is in flower and rhododendrons are near their best.

I always think late May is wonderful because of the vivid greens associated with new growth

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

I think its been a very cool spring and it was an incredibly cold winter.

Spring arrived late this year because of the cold winter and while things are playing catch up, they are still quite delayed. Its only now that my grass should be getting a mowing.

There are still pockets of frost expected in the coming week but hopefully from Thursday onwards, we will be back to less northerly winds. A bonus in terms of both Volcanic Ash and temperatures. And some much needed rain.

Generally Europe has some pretty awful weather this winter. The West of France was very badly hit by a storm a few months ago (over 40 people died in one small village just north of La Rochelle) and the South of France was very badly hit by another storm in the last week.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

no, its pretty normal -......roll on the end of the month tho - the school state exams are on then and we ALWAYS get a heatwave during this time. Don't see why this year should be any different. ;-))0)

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

Hi juliest

We are having unusual winds for this time of year - Northly winds instead of the southerly winds (hence the problems with the ash from the volcano) - and so there is a bit of a wind chill factor if the wind is strong. But it is dry and sunny so I would not worry too much about packing - just make sure you have a jacket and you will be fine.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

No, please, no warm weather during the exams this year.....

Nice medium temperatures with no temptations for the students to go anywhere except behind their books ;o)).

I'm quite happy for the sun to start splitting the rocks from 5,00pm the 22nd June onwards.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

just bring layers of clothing. It is very hard to guess the weather here. Normally if you don't like it just wait 5 minutes.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

Thanks.

Actually, after an unusually warm April here in the northern US where I live (and we had a long, cold winter too), our temps sound quite a bit like yours. So, what I have been wearing around here in the past week or two should be just what I'll need there. I haven't broken out my sandals here yet, and it sounds like I won't need them there either.

Our tulips are ending, daffodils are over and the lilacs are just starting to bloom. One of the places we are planning to go is Killarney Park, and I understand the rhodendrons there should be lovely.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,300 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

Juliest, Killarney will be fabulous at this time.

Not alone will you have the rhododendrons (officially a pest in some places because of their impact on the native oaks) but you will have lots of other flowers including tree blossoms.

Enjoy.

Forgot to say, make sure you visit Muckross Park Gardens. May in Muckross is simply spectacular.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 16:45
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

In the NW the blooms are a little bit behind on previous years (and they're always a little bit behind the SW and the rest of the country anyway) but it sounds that it's a bit similar to what you've got in your part of the world: the daffodils are definitely over, the tulips are on their way out and although we'd normally have the lilac in full flower by May Day it's still in tight bud now. The wild woodland flowers are out in force, however, and if you get the chance to go for a woodland walk you should still be able to catch the end of the bluebells and primroses, which are both looking very good this year, when you are here. The ramsons (wild garlic) will by then be in full flower and the wood sorrel (believed to be the original 'shamrock' used by St Patrick to teach the Holy Trinity) and the wood anemone will still be as lovely and zingy and fresh looking too as they are now...

In the hedgerows and orchards things are just starting to green up a little and some early blossom can be seen on many of the trees - in our orchard the apples are giving forth the strongest display of blossom for years so maybe they enjoyed the harsh winter? We've also got a bumper crop of buds on the quince and the medlar trees which is very unusual and in the soft-fruit garden the largest amount of flowers we've ever seen on the blueberry bushes so maybe there was something to be gained from the -12 temperatures that we endured in January!

Looking back at our log-book things definitely seem to be behind by a week or two on a 'normal' year but generally all is going well with Mother Nature and her Irish springtime :-)

10. Re: Is this an exceptionally cool spring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 06:22