We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are old cart ruts?

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where are old cart ruts?

Somewhere in my reading I ran across a picture of very old cart ruts. They may have been near a castle, I just can not remember where they were. I'd like to see and photograph them while I'm in Ireland.

Is anyone familiar with cart ruts made a few hundred years ago?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are old cart ruts?

So-called 'cart ruts' are a phenomena of many areas associated with megalithic history and it is still not known exactly what they are - some theories insist that they are indeed ruts carved into difficult to navigate terrain to enable farmers carts to transport goods/people from one place to another (much like a modern day tram-line), others suggest that they are carved into the bedrock as an aid to irrigation (much like a levada system) and others insist that they are merely natural parallel line fissures in the rock. Of course, there is also a school of thought that believes they are evidence of UFOs even! Can't think of any places off-hand to see these in Ireland but we'd suggest that you focus your search on windswept limestone areas such as the Burren and the Aran Islands as the majority of these cart ruts are to be found on this particular type of rock in such 'difficult to farm' situations...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are old cart ruts?

We can't think either of where you'll find these in Ireland although we've seen some fantastic examples at the Dingli Cliffs in Malta!

http://www.cartrutsmalta.com/

3. Re: Where are old cart ruts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 06:28