We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culture, language and the word

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Culture, language and the word

How do the Irish pronounce the word celtic?

hard c as in 'k' sound or

soft c as in 's' sound??

dictionary.com says both ways, but it is your culture, so I'm going by your pronunciation.

This has been an ongoing argument in my family.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Culture, language and the word

It is pronounced with a k sound. The only time I have known it to be pronounced with an s sound is in reference to Celtic Football Club which is in Glasgow, Scotland

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Culture, language and the word

Aha! I was right!

Thank you:)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culture, language and the word

Both hard and soft sounds have been used over the centuries as language has evolved but it has largely settled down in the last hundred years or so to the hard K sound being the most common usage in Ireland. Nobody is going to get really offended if you pronounce it either way but you'll get more respect, and less sniggers, if you use the K sound at the moment ;-)

It is still widely 'mispronounced' in the UK with the S sound (eg. I'm going to get one of those seltic knot tattoos) most probably due to the familiarity of hearing about the football team that irish_eyes1000 mentions and also due to the fact that the majority of words starting in 'ce' sound out with an S sound. Most people would understand what is being referred to in the above example, however, and they probably wouldn't pick you up on the 'mispronunciation' in either the UK or Ireland but you may get the odd smile from those that use the K sound...

Out of interest how do those from the US pronounce Celtic?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culture, language and the word

It is not something regularly used in conversation but definitely Keltic, just like the Scottish would be a Scot not a Scotch. But don't worry we are not as touchy as our Highland cousins. ;-)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culture, language and the word

The word Celt is an English word used to describe those who spoke a common language. I think derives from Celti - a Roman name for an ancient tribe of Northern Europe. More recently it has been used to collectively to describe the Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Manx, Breton, Cornish and (sometimes) Galician pepole

Although the word "Ceilteach" (KYELL-tuch) is used in the Irish language, it is borrowed from English. Gael is the word for a personon of Irish heritage, hence Gaelic

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culture, language and the word

In the US there's the Boston Celtics (pronounced the s way) basketball team who are one of the main NBA teams so I guess the US people are more familiar with the s version because of that.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culture, language and the word

Ragoora,

People in the academic world, artists, historians, etc. say keltic. However, I have heard a few others say seltic. My son (college student) says seltic.... BUT he very witty and is a TERRIBLE tease. I often wonder if he isn't just saying that way to annoy me!

8. Re: Culture, language and the word

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 06:23