We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the like to travel?

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the like to travel?

Okay so there are all of us traveling to Ireland ;-)

Now I'm curious, where do the Irish like to go on vacation? I have the impression that Florida in the U.S. is popular?

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the like to travel?

well it depends on the cost of flights ,the exchange rate against dollar ,and whether there might be any hurricanes forecast ,,,mostly spain ,france and other european countries are more common destinations ,also asian countries are popular -like thailand ,philippines , and of course australia where its easier than usa now to have working /holiday

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the like to travel?

France :o)

Heading to the Loire Valley, the South West near Biarritz, the Dordogne and ending up with 3 nights near Paris in just over 2 weeks time.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the like to travel?

We always stay in Ireland, Dingle preferably.if outside of Ireland,

Scotland would be my choice, or Cornwall or Wales.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the like to travel?

I think down through the years that most Irish people have gone to Spain or France if they haven't stayed in Ireland.

When my boys were young, we always holidayed in Ireland with a few trips to London thrown in as they got older.

We even ventured as far as Paris one year:-))

Now that they are older, you could find us anywhere!!

Canada here I come this year

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the like to travel?

Like most other countries it totally depends on your income and dependents and also our interests and what inspires you to travel but short hops to the UK and mainland Europe are very popular with the Canary Islands (Tenerife, Lanzarote...) seemingly being top of the sun destinations for a lot of Irish people - we went to Lanzarote earlier this year and had a lovely sunny time :-)

Personally we've been very lucky to travel widely over the years for both work and pleasure (you can actually click on a TA users profile and look at their 'travel map' if it has been filled in) but as we get older visiting folk in destinations closer to home and exploring a bit of the history, culture and landscape of their locale is our favourite and with family/friends in Ireland, the UK, Switzerland, France and Spain these places are now where we tend to holiday most - we're happy to just iChat with those further afield and no longer feel the need to go translatlantic. Next year we've decided to *try* and travel without flying at all and are looking forward to seeing some old friends and exploring some new places in Ireland, Scotland and Devon/Cornwall :-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the like to travel?

I love France! Especially Paris. But the thing I find strange about rural France is that in the middle of the day you could drive through a village and not see a person, it is almost deserted. Such a contrast to Irish villages that are hiving at all times of the day or night. I wonder why this is? Any ideas?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the like to travel?

Bob, everything closes for lunch in the rural areas. People go home, have lunch, have some vin de table (6%) or water and generally take a break during the day.

Its only in the urban and highly touristed areas that the shops remain open during lunch.

But if you think France is bad, go to Andorra!! They close there between 1.00pm and 4.00pm. We were there in early June last year for an day, in Andorra la Vela (the capital city) for the afternoon and thought, great, we're here at 2,00pm we'll be able to do a little shopping and wander about. Nah!! Everything closed bar McDonalds.... And even then they saw me coming (I was pushed forward while hub and the 3 kids stood behind me laughing). Everything was super maxed and then more. I'm convinced they gave us buckets instead of drinking cups. But I diverge...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do the like to travel?

Thanks, beannalainn. And although I said middle of the day, I found this on most afternoons, and from Alsace to the Riviera!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do the like to travel?

Just remembered we're off to a friend's 50th in Paris in five weeks - did our ears maybe perk up at that mention of 'vin' ;-)

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do the like to travel?

Nothing beats the excitement of a first -time destination for me. I always try to have one on my horizons. Bordeaux beckons this time round!