We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ordering tea in a restaurant

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ordering tea in a restaurant

This might sound silly, but keep in mind I've never been to Ireland. How do you order tea in a restaurant? Here, your just order it and they bring whatever teabags they have and some hot water.

Since you all drink much more tea, do you need to know a type of tea that you'd like?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

Here you normally get a pot of tea containing a teabag or teabags depending on size of pot. Some restaurants etc may off a choice of teas but this would usually be indicated on a menu. If no choice is offered, you just ask for tea - no need to specify a particular type.

Tea is usually served with sugar and milk which you can add at your own discretion.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

If you just ask for tea, then you will be given pretty bog standard everyday tea. Locals generally like a fairly strong brew, with a nice reddish colour to it once the milk has been added but if you like it weaker then you pour it fairly quickly before it has a chance to 'draw' and you can ask for your pot to be topped up with more hot water. In some places, it may actually be served in a mug rather than a pot so you get it as it comes and as usual add your own milk and sugar. Having your tea with lemon rather than milk and sugar is another if less popular option.

Where a choice of teas is offered, these can include options based on the origins of the tea e.g. Assam, Darjeeling, China etc. or speciality tea that has some flavourings added or processed in a particularly way e.g Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Green tea, Rooibos or herbal/fruit teas such as peppermint, camomile, etc. Generally people don't add milk to the speciality or herbal/fruit teas.

There's a great little tea shop in Temple Bar (in East Essex Street, just opposite the Project Arts Centre) called the Joy of Chai which has an incredible range of exotic teas and tea concoctions (a bit like tea cocktails!)and is a great place for a bit of piece and quiet with a book during the day.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

Don't forget that you can have tea in a pub too - unlike the UK (another tea drinking nation) where you'll generally get a blank face if you ask for tea at the bar in Ireland it's served in much the same way that it would be in a restaurant/cafe. A 'pint of Guinness and a tea' will get you exactly that: a pint and a small metal pot of tea with a cup/saucer or mug and jug of milk and pot of sugar sachets all usually on a little tray but sometimes just handed over as is - most pots usually hold around two cups. We had a much needed pint and pot of tea in a busy surfers pub in Strandhill in Sligo this weekend after an hour or two of surfing ;-)

Tea, milk and sugar are nearly always served as separates in Ireland and it's rare if you get it with the milk already put in like you usually do in the UK! Those nasty little plastic pots of UHT milk are rarely used either and it'll be fresh Irish milk that is in the jug - in restaurants, cafes and pubs serving food there is nearly always a self-serve jug of milk on the table along with the salt/pepper/sauces etc

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

That all sounds so lovely. I'm afraid I don't know a Darjeeling from an Earl Grey, I'll have to read about it.

The Grandmas were huge tea drinkers.. I can see them both up in heaven shaking their heads at their "uncivilized granddaughter' lol!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

Earl Grey is popular and is flavoured with bergamot oil which is allegedly addictive - we certainly like it! A very pleasant alternative is Lady Grey which is similar but has lemon and orange in addition to bergamot. With these you can even have a 'his and hers' tea drinking session!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Grey_tea

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Grey_%28tea%29

We find that jasmine tea is quite good for hangovers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmine_tea

And we love the smokey sensuality of lapsang souchong...... even the name sounds pleasantly musical and you can almost hear the faint clang of a gong once you've said it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

You should be able to find these teas in larger supermarkets in tea-bag form and the various Asian supermarkets dotted around Dublin are great places to pick up both the tea-bag and the leaf varieties. More upmarket cafes will also have a good selection while more down to earth places are likely to stick to good old "builders' tea".

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

Earl Grey is also brilliant if you're feeling stressed or anxious, the bergamot is a natural anti-depressant. I often drink Earl Grey at work if I've some major deadline going on - it's brilliant for taking the edge off the stress!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

My mother bless her soul always asked for a pot of hot water with her tea, because as has been said Irish tea is generally served good and strong. This suited all at the table but herself. Chris quite often has a tea when we call in a pub for a lunchtime drink or snack.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

Wow Wessex and Tapl,

I may have to start drinking Earl Grey... I'm a teacher, I feel stressed every day! LOL

Tapl, thanks for all the great information:)

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

Mrs Courtney's tea rooms in Killarney is well worth a visit for a decent cup of tea, as well as home made cakes and buns.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ordering tea in a restaurant

once you drink the tea in ireland you will really really hate the tea at home....i have gotten so attach to barrys, etc., that i bring two boxes of 180 count home with me, and then buy some on line when i have to miss a year....their tea is fantastic....just ask for tea, you don't have to know any tea names, or historys...you won't be disappointed....:-)