We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Shannon Airport

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Shannon Airport

It's so sad to be thinking about heading for home from my dream trip when I haven't even left yet! But these things need to be figured out....

I'll be leaving Sunday July 11th on a 9:00 am CO flight. I would like to look around just a bit at the shops - if they're open (?)and get some tea.....and do the VAT refund(I've read about this, but don't really know how long it takes ) How early do I need to get to the airport. I'll be coming from Bunratty. That's pretty close-right?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

If there are flights going out, you will be able to shop. :)

The main (only, really) shopping opportunity at Shannon is the duty free area, which is upstairs after you go through security. There's another shop downstairs that's more of a "newsagent" place with some souvenirs and books and stuff, but for most departing passengers it's the duty free area upstairs that you're looking for.

Bunratty is maybe 20 minutes door-to-door to Shannon Airport iirc. If you're dropping a car you'll need to build in a few minutes time for that. And you have to clear US customs and immigrations before you board, so you have to allow for that. Once you clear passport control you cannot return to the lounge where the shopping is.

Overall it's a fairly quiet, and very efficient, airport. If you were to walk into the airport at 6:45 you'd probably have 30 minutes or so upstairs to browse the shops and grab a cup of tea before they start calling you to go to customs. If the shopping is really important to you maybe shoot for arrival a bit earlier to make sure you have enough time.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

I don't know about the Vat refund there is a booth in departures but as a resident have never been able to use it. There is a cafeteria on the 2nd floor as you go to departures, and before you show your boarding pass there is a shop selling mainly woven goods. After Security there is the duty free plaza and the VAT refund area also the departure lounge bar/cafe. You might need to be at the airport 3 hours before if you are clearing US customs at Shannon so I would really recommend staying as close to the Airport as possible, even the Park Inn at the airport. If you want to shop at Sky court in Shannon you could do that the day before up to 7.00pm. You should allow 40 mins to get from Bunratty and Drop the car before entering the airport. What are the opening hours of your rental return on a Sunday? silly question but I believe some just have a key drop and I would really want my car cleared and deposit refunded before I got on a plane.

skycourtshannon.com/shopper-information/…

www.betaparkinn.com/airporthotel-shannon…

Edited: 26 June 2010, 20:30
Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like I'll be shopping that morning!!! But I think getting to the airport about 3 hours is a good plan. I'll be taking a cab from a B&B in Bunratty. So I should probably arrange for a pick up the day before...for around 5:45am or so. OH so early! It's really nice to get the US customs/immagrations done in Shannon! I didn't know that! I just can't believe all that I've been planning starts happening in a couple days!!!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

Cab costs to the airport:

shannonairport.com/to-from/byairportcab.html

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

Thanks! Do they take credit cards or do I need to be sure to have cash?

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

If you mean do the cabs take credit cards, some do, but All will take cash

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

Save all your shopping receipts and get the VAT refund at the airport booth as posted earlier. It was fast when we did it, I suppose it depends on timing. Not all purchases will be eligible. I think there is a threshold for a store to be eligible. If they don't have over a certain level of sales the VAT is not charged. I found the shopping at the airport to be interesting and quite reasonable for last minute shopping. Found a few things cheaper that I had already bought elsewhere.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

Yes, pre-clearance is great. Be sure to know what your bag looks like as you will be checking it in as normal at the check in counter but asked to visually verify a picture of it at the customs counter. Perhaps adding a color strap of sticker to help identify it?

And the VAT refund works as such. When you purchase goods that are taxed you ask the cashier to give you a VAT refund form. Most tourists stores will have them and be happy to partially fill it out for you. Some will even take the tax off on the spot but still give you the forms. There are different companies/agencies (Global Refund, Tax Back, Money Back) working with different stores so be sure to get envelopes for each form. You can decide later which ones to use for which agency. The store will fill out their name and a description and price of the goods. You will have to fill out your information (passport number, flight number and dates etc) and take your forms to the VAT refund area in Shannon. There should be some one there to give you your refund in the currency of your choice or put it back on your credit card but sometimes the windows are not peopled and so you drop your envelope in the slot - they will mail you a check after a few weeks. You can also have your police station in the US stamp the forms and mail them from the US (for people not flying out of Shannon or Dublin) but that is awkward. Try explaining Ireland's VAT refund policy to a police station in the US - it is not easy - I have tried. Money Back uses a gift card type thing to keep track of everything for you but you still have to enter your travel info at the airport or online when you get home.

No matter how small your purchase, as long as you are being charged VAT and the store is participating in the service they should give you a form. Some say it is not worth it for small purchases but it all adds up.

Also, not all items in Ireland are taxed. For example, books and children's clothes and shoes are not taxed. So if you have small feet you can purchase the largest children's size version of the shoe and not the smallest adult size and save a few Euro!

Here is a link enchantingireland.com/planning/Ireland-VAT-A… that explains it all again.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

Duty free shopping was invented at Shannon.

10. Re: Questions about Shannon Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 05:17