We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone question from an American

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone question from an American

Okay, it's now decided that we will purchase a pre-pay phone in Shannon or Ennis when we land in October. None of the many phones we have collected over the years are compatible with the Irish system. We will be using it as follows...

1. Emergency contact number from the US

2. Call ahead to the B&Bs we have reservations with.

3. Calls to and from Northern Ireland where we will be staying for three nights.

4. Make occasional short calls to son in the US. Time difference may not allow us to call using Skype from wifi hotspots.

I have looked at both Tesco and Vodaphone. What are your opinions?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

Although I dont have personel knowledge of Tesco phones I have heard good reports on their prices. I use Vodaphone myself and get free texts and calls for a month when I put €20 on. This only applies to Ireland and wont be much use to you. Sorry I can't be of more help to you but someone out there will have more knowledge, enjoy your holiday

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

I have been a Tesco customer since they started in the UK so I might be biased but I am not a fan of Vodaphone. Tesco phones start at €15.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

Small point.... the phone company which starts with a 'V' is actually spelt 'VODAFONE' and not 'Vodaphone' which might cause you problems when googling......

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

tapl, getting a little picky here. LOL. I sometimes type faster than I think. I have VODAFONE already bookmarked.

Sounds like Vodafone has the same reputation as AT&T here. I've read a lot of positive comments about Tesco so I am leaning that way. For the limited amount of time I will be using the mobile phone, I don't wish to spend alot of $$ or €€ or ££.

One more question, do both companies have free in coming calls?

Thanks,

Rich

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

Incoming calls are free here if you have an Irish SIM card. If your SIM is not Irish and you are 'roaming', then you are charged for receiving calls.

Darn these 'illiterate' telephone company names! Why can't they just make it easier for everyone and spell their own names properly!

Edited: 08 July 2010, 07:42
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

Will be looking into the Tesco Ireland rates this weekend because I am looking at upgrading, (they are now going 3G with Hutchinson) so will get back to you. It's a pity you are not doing the North first, my Tesco UK has a £2 add on which gives full Irish cover at UK rates so 20p/min per second billing with double credit on my calls when over there and half price to my 5 favourite UK numbers. Unfortunately Irish operators are not so generous.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

has anyone used a verizon 'global phone'? i've heard its $15 US, they send it to you and the minute rates are a bit hefty but I think I might look into this for calling B&Bs, restaurants, etc.

Have americans had good experiences with these in terms of reception in ireland, cost>?

8. Re: Mobile phone question from an American

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 07:32