We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

We are debating what to do for phone usage while in Ireland for our honeymoon in 2 weeks. We really only need it to phone the few B&Bs we are staying at and maybe to make a call or 2 home and to a pub or restaurant. We will have a laptop and most B&Bs and hotels we are staying at have wireless internet.

I was searching the forums and came across this:

"If you have Verizon as a carrier, I just found out that they will send you a global phone for free-just need to pay the shipping of $9.99. Then the cost per minute is $1.29. You can only have the phone for 30 days, so if you are going to be there less than 30 days-you should check it out."

Has anyone who is a verizon carrier in the US done this recently? If so what were your experiences? Was coverage/reception good or not? If this doesn't work I'm thinking about purchasing an international calling card but I'm not sure how easy they would be to use (are there pay-phones or would business owners allow me to use their phone if necessary?)

any help would be great! can't wait for this trip!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

I'm not a Verizon user and so can't comment on their package but I suspect that coverage/reception in Ireland is dependent on the local networks rather than Verizon (Verizon does not exist a as network in Ireland). In general, moblie/cell phone coverage in Ireland is generally quite good with the exception of occasional limited coverage in some rural areas.

Also, if you are bringing your laptop and are staying in locations with wifi, you could use Skype for your international calls - it's a lot cheaper than using a mobile or landline. Payphones have become a lot less common now as use of mobile/cell phones is so widespread that usage of payphones has dropped dramatically in recent years.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

do hotels/b&bs generally charge for phone use such as local calls or international calling cards? thanks for the info on skype. only negative with that is we can't "call on the fly/road" if we decide we are going to be a bit later/earlier than expected

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

"Has anyone who is a verizon carrier in the US done this recently? If so what were your experiences? "

I've done it my last 4-5 trips. No problems. It picks up an Irish network for calls, not Verizon. I've used it on islands off the coast of Donegal as well as in more urban areas and never had a problem.

I've really started to put calling cards up there with travelers checks as being relics of the past - there are fewer and fewer pay phones around these days.

As a side note, I've rarely had to phone B&Bs where I have a reservation. Unless I'm arriving past 5:00 or 6:00. When I've reserved well in advance I sometimes send off an email a day or two before my departure from the States just as a reminder. In 100+ stays at various B&Bs I've had exactly one instance of showing up and not being expected, and that wasn't a big deal.

The only potential negative is getting the phone delivered in the USA, they will not leave it on the doorstep (not sure I'd want them to) and someone must be present to sign for it on arrival.

West Chester
Level Contributor
151 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

This is what I love so much about TA...I've been a Verizon customer for years, and I had no idea until reading this that I could order a Global phone to use when I go to Ireland next year. Since it'll just be us 2 women traveling about on our own, it will be great to have in case of emergency or whatever. Thanks for this info!

orange park
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

Used the Verizon Global phone all over Ireland and loved the freedom it gave me.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

On your query re hotels and B&Bs charging or not for calls, I guess that most hotels will charge for phone use - and possibly charge somewhat inflated rates if you use the phone in your room.

I suspect that there are no hard and fast rules in B&Bs - a quick local call might not be an issue but I cannot see them allowing international calls for free.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

I recently called Verizon to get a phone to use while in Ireland and they told me that they no longer provide this service. I am thinking of buying an inexpensive pre-paid once I get there (August 2010), to make in-Ireland calls for reservations, etc. Does anyone have any experience/better ideas?

Boston
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

The above message..."I recently called Verizon to get a phone to use while in Ireland and they told me that they no longer provide this"... is not true. I have a Verizon Global Phone in my hand ready for our trip this week. Maybe you weren't a Verizon customer?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

Yes,

Definitely NOT true. I used a verizon global phone for our trip from July 28- August 6 in Ireland with no problem. Called B&Bs in Ireland, restaurants, and back home with no issues.

I highly recommend for any verizon customers.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: verizon global phone use in ireland--experiences good/bad?

Hi. We're Verizon customers and this looks like a good option for our trip to Ireland next May. Will it also work in France? After Ireland, we'll be in France for 1.5 weeks. Thanks, BB

Edited: 12 September 2010, 17:35