We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Belfast...Self drive or tour company?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Belfast...Self drive or tour company?

I am planning a trip in Sept with my teen daughter. My thought was to fly into Dublin, spend two days in the city and then rent a car from the airport for the remainder of our trip which will consist of spending two days in Belfast.

I plan on seeing some sites along the way. However, giving this some further thought, would it be difficult to have a car in Belfast? Would taking a tour be advantageous or would we possibly miss some key historical sites along the way?

We will be driving the Antrim Coast over to Derry, then to Donegal, then towards Galway.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Aquaventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
My Ireland Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Belfast...Self drive or tour company?

Ccass

If you are planning to travel a loop from Dublin to Galway via Belfast, Derry and Donegal, you will need a car. There are many sights on this loop which are not readily accessible by public transport. Driving in Belfast is not too difficult for visitors, so I would not worry about going there by car - though if you are touring the city, I'd park the car and take a local tour such as the Black Taxi tour.

If you want to check out tours which might pick up on some of the sights, see www.paddywagontours.com and check their 6 Day North Deluxe Tour - though be aware that Paddywagon Tours are usually more aimed at the backpacker than at the luxury end of the market.

D.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Belfast...Self drive or tour company?

Thank you so much for the added peace of mind. I'll just go ahead and plan on driving from Dublin.

However, I just may very well check out the Paddywagon co. I looked at their site briefly and I think they even offer a shuttle from the airport to their hostel in Dublin. Although I've never stayed at a hostel before it may be a good experience for my daughter as this trip is planned to give her a base to give her the confidence to travel abroad on her own in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Belfast...Self drive or tour company?

Definitely hire a car. You might want to avoid staying in Belfast centre to avoid parking charges, but even there on street parking is free from 1800-0800.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
4. Re: Dublin to Belfast...Self drive or tour company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 06:16