We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

These are my two drafts for my Oct trip. Neither includes the two travel days. Fav's. Suggestions. Thanks

Opt 1 Opt 2

Clifton Clifden

Clifton Spiddal

Doolin Doolin

Doolin Dingle

Dingle Dingle

Dingle Killarney

Dingle Killarney

Kenmare Killarney

Kenmare Kinsale

Kinsale Kinsale

Kinsale Kilkenny

Kilkenny Kilkenny

Dromoland Dromoland

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

We would opt for two nights in Clifden over one there and then one in Spiddal but maybe you have a reason for suggesting it? You don't say what you are interested in looking at and/or experiencing but the 'best' of Connemara is certainly easier to experience from a base in Clifden for one thing and the evening facilities (pubs, restaurants) are more plentiful than Spiddal for another. If you are thinking of staying there as a spring-board for Galway then we'd suggest that you actually aim to stay the night in Galway itself - we're not down on Spiddal itself it's just that, apart from being a good point for a day trip to the Aran Islands which may actually be your reason for choosing it, it's an unusual choice...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

I like Spiddal but have 2 agree with ragoora that Clifden is the better option. Either of your lists would work in summer but in October I would have to go with Clifden, Clifden. Doolin, Ennis ? Dingle, Killarney.Killarney, Kenmare, Kinsale, Kinsale, Waterford? Kilkenny Dromoland.

The days are short the weather unpredictable so I have thrown in a couple of wild card where you could find things to do if the weather is bad. Galway or Ennis would be a good arrival day base. and I am assuming your last night at Dromoland is for a flight out of Shannon?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,451 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

i would say

day 1-2 clifton

day 3 doolin

Newburyport...
Level Contributor
24 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

Opt 1 would be my choice. Dingle and Kenmare over Killarney any day.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

I know it is all a matter of personal choice and Option 1 is what I would go for. Connemara is a beautiful area and there is so muh to see and enjoy there.

I also prefer Kenmare over Killarney as it has a less touristy fell to it. You can do the Ring of Kerry (or Ring of Beara) from it and it isn't too far if you decide you want to spend a day in and around Killarney

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

Thanks for the feedback. Revision 4

Fly to Ireland

1 Galway

2 Clifton

3 Clifton

4 Doolin

5 Dingle

6 Dingle

7 Kenmare

8 Kenmare

9 Kinsale

10 Kinsale

11 Kilkenny

12 Kilkenny

13 Dromoland Castle

Fly Home

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

To clarify the flight departure days are separate

Oct Date Location

1 Fly to Ireland

2 Galway

3 Clifton

4 Clifton

5 Doolin

6 Dingle

7 Dingle

8 Kenmare

9 Kenmare

10 Kinsale

11 Kinsale

12 Kilkenny

13 Kilkenny

14 Dromoland Castle

15 Fly Home

Or do Doolin, Clifton, Clifton, Galway the first 4 days

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

Galway might be the best 1st night as it is a good straight road but it might be that you are getting into town just before or just on the start of peak morning traffic so depending on your accommodation location there are a couple of different routes in. (Clifden is out on the Connamara but there isn't a Clifton).

In October it is possible to just wing it have the phone numbers of a couple of accommodations in your chosen locations and book in on a daily basis. Gives a bit more freedom if you find somewhere you like or dislike.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,361 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

Re, Ton'y's last point, many B&Bs in remoter areas may be closed for the season, so it is always handy to have some back-up numbers

10. Re: two slightly different itineraries for west coast - thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 06:55