We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottage Rental

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Cottage Rental

We are planning a trip to Ireland in June of 2011. Due to some medical problems a cottage rental may suit us better. My wife has Seizure disorder and can tire easily so a home would be better should we need some privacy and a day to just lay about.

I wouldn't mind drinving up to four hours or so a day to and from the cottage and the sights.

We would be ariving in Shannon and departing the same.

So could someone lend a hand and provide some good cottage rental agencies in west for me?

Our plans are of couse very open at this point so suggesting a good locating to look would also be helpful.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cottage Rental

I think the Tripadvisor holiday rentals are an excellent place to start. Cottages are listed from County Donegal in the north right down to County Cork. They have Tripadvisor style independent reviews so that you can get an idea of how others rate the properties.

I particularly like County Donegal as not as many tourists venture that far north, which has protected its charm to some degree. It is also well placed for touring into Northern Ireland (Giant's Causeway for instance). Good luck with the search.

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
259 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cottage Rental

Hi Rob141..

http://www.imagineireland.com/ and www.daft.ie (has a holiday lettings section)

might be good places to start looking for a cottage.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cottage Rental

http://www.cc-cottages.com/

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Ireland/r37.htm

goireland.com/galway/self-catering-in-galway…

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cottage Rental

I can recommend www.dreamireland.com. This is an excellent agency.

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cottage Rental

Thanks for your suggestions.

Can you give me a time frame for when 'I should make the reservation.

We are planning on arriving mid jue of 2011

Thanks so much for your help

Mayo
Level Contributor
123 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cottage Rental

You could also have a look at http://www.irishvacationrental.com

Once you have your flights tied down you should go about booking the cottage straight away. A lot of people take the same week every year and there are a lot of good deals in June before the rate goes to the high one for July and August

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cottage Rental

Considering you're not coming over until June next year you still have plenty of time to look at all the suggested websites and make your decision. But yes, June to early September are favourite holiday times so don't linger too long.

May I just make you aware of the following fact. Most of the cottages for rent are meant for four, five or six persons. Some cater for 8 persons. We find ourselves in a situation where just the two of us find it very difficult to get self-catering accommodation for just two!. We can book a house/cottage/apartment for two but will have to pay for four or six (ghost) occupants.

Maybe the general area of Limerick/Ennis/Adare would suit you. You can visit Dingle/Killarney/the Burren/general area of Clare etc. from there.

I hope you'll find a very suitable place and have a lovely holiday!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cottage Rental

I booked a bungalow in Dingle this year through www.dreamireland.com as there were six of us, and they were excellent, I changed my mind twice and they altered my booking without any extra charge, I booked in January for a week in May. Hope this helps, However, love it as I do, I wouldnt choose Dingle as a touring centre if you want to see several areas.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cottage Rental

I used Imagine Ireland this time and last for my holiday as I book my travel over there with the cottage :) They seem quite good.

Saint Marys...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cottage Rental

Thanks I am looking over the suggestions and appreciate them.

I am looking forward to this tripa s well as my wife whose greatgrandfather was from Ireland. Up in the Donegal area, so the suggestion of donegal hit home and she is looking over staying in the north west vs. the south west now.

As soon as she decides I will start firming up our plans.