We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

I'm sure this is the weirdest question ever!! But I am traveling to Ireland on a flight attendant's budget and I'm wondering if it's cheaper to buy the souvenirs here (for example, I can buy an irish dancer doll for my daughter in St. Paul for $39.99) Does anyone know what I'd pay for one there? (She won't know that I bought it here!!!) Also, they have a sweatshirt that says Ireland for $25. Good deal?

Again, sorry to seem to 'tight', but you gotta do whatcha gotta do!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

Where in Ireland will you be visiting? There's a chain of cheap and cheerful souvenir shops in Dublin which you'll find at locations throughout the city centre which are likely to be cheaper. They quote their prices on the website in a number of currencies as well as Euro, including USD. In our experience, most locations in Ireland frequented by visitors will also have their share of touristy shops with inexpensive souvenirs on offer. Branded goods such as Guinness merchandise are likely to be more expensive.

http://www.carrollsirishgifts.com/

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

As tapl has said Guinness goods can be had as cheap if not cheaper on line, but there are lots of shops selling Irish souvenirs and the like at bargain basement prices. Whilst your daughter might not know you will. I suppose the bottom line might come down to how much room and weight you have spare in your baggage.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

If you are visiting Dublin, there is a pedestrian street that runs from Trinity College to St Stephens Green called Grafton Street. On that street there is a 'tourist' shop selling t-shirts & sweatshirts - some are plain and just say 'ireland' some are funny and cute and some are more adult themes etc but all are aimed at tourists. Prices are really good, from about $5 for kids t-shirt and from $8 for a sweatshirt.

As you are a flight attendant you likely won't have baggage weight issues so I would leave your gift shopping until you get to Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

I would also recommend Caroll's Irish Giftstore. I always stock up in here when visting relations. They do have some good multi buy offers too!

I think the store Caytocro mentioned is Read's on Nassau st. they also have a nice collection of Irish gifts.

http://www.reads.ie/

Minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

Thank you everyone for the advice :)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

you will find some real bargains on souvenirs in ireland...i bought some lovely dolls for my grand daughters a few years back for like 15 euro....have bought sweats for 10-15 euro, golf shirts for 20-25....you won't lack for choices and prices in ireland...

7. Re: Cheaper to buy souvenirs in US or IRELAND?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 04:17