We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

I have no idea why I can't figure out the best way to plan our trip next summer so I am asking for some assistance from all of you kind people out there. We have a major trip planned and trying to figure out the best way to do it. We are going from the US to Shannon, then on to Austria, Paris, Normandy and Spain. What would be the best way to travel from Ireland to either Austria (Salzburg) or Paris? We were originally thinking of taking a train but were told that would take way too long for the time we have available. Do you have any suggestions, there are 5 of us traveling together? We are planning on renting a car in Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,475 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

Hi PinnellMom

You wouldn't be able to take the train from Dublin to Paris - it would involve a ferry crossing from Ireland to the Uk then a train to London with a transfer to the Eurostar train from London to Paris.

The easiest option is to fly from Dublin to Paris with either Aer Lingus, Air France or Ryanair.

aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/…index.jsp

http://www.airfrance.com/indexCOM.html

http://www.ryanair.com/ie

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

Thanks so much for your help. That sounds rather expensive to do but probably will be a real time saver since we only have 3 weeks total to do all that traveling. We have been to Ireland several times but our daughter who will be 18 wants to go to Austria too. I also want to visit Spain too see where my family is from, just a huge trip to try and plan.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

The best way would be to fly Ryanair to Paris from Dublin and have alook at SNCF trains from Paris to your other destinations as it is not easy getting to Salzburg from Dublin Thalys trains also have a very good service from Paris and if you book early you can get some good deals.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

Hi,

I suggest you plan your trip further, using a good map. Since we are an island here, the only way to France is by flight, ferry or via the UK ( by ferry or flight also) and down via the Channel Tunnel train called Eurostar, from England to Paris.There is lots of information on this forum regarding air and ferry travel already. Once in France, travel is easy, by car or train, staying in France, or travelling to Spain.

I suggest you drop Salzburg from this trip. It is accessible by train from Gare Est station in Paris, but expect the journey to be 10-12 hours, and often a change at Zurich. A quick look shows fares in excess of 200Euro per adult. Trains within France can be booked online on www.voyages.SNCF.com. If you book 3 months in advance you'll get the best rates, and also if you're travelling with children. There's an English translation on the site if you're not confident to do it in French.

You can take a hire car from France to Spain, but to avoid exorbitant drop off costs, it must be returned in the country of rental. B

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

I checked on airfare from Ohio to Shannon then Shannon to Paris and Madrid back to Columbus. Adding the extra leg on the trip for Shannon to Paris added another $1000 to the trip, way out of our budget. So, now I have to see about rerouting our trip and going through London, something I really didn't want to have to do. I didn't want to waste the time going to London. I am probably not going to be able to go to Spain, the one place I wanted to go and no one else did. I just can't make the trip work and I already compromised my part of the trip by dropping the time in Spain to two days. The trip is for my dgt's high school graduation and she loved Austria when we were there a few years ago and wants to go back.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

Hi,

Do you mean London instead of Shannon as your first European stop or London from Shannon instead if Paris?

If you still plan in arriving into Shannon, I suggest flights from Dublin to Paris. I'm not familiar with Shannon airport routes, but Dublin certainly gives more Paris options. Expect to pay less than €30 per adult from Dublin to Paris. B

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

You are all so wonderful and have been really helpful. I did not realize how long the train/ferry would take from Ireland to Paris. We are looking at flying on Aer Lingus from Cork to Paris, had no idea that the rates would be so reasonable. I would be going there all the time if I lived in Europe. :) We are not planning on visiting Dublin, staying mostly west coast to visit with family. When I checked on a website, Expedia, and added the flight in from Shannon to Paris it added so much to the airfare. The flight on Aer Lingus is going to be perfect, thanks so much.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

The problem is that Shannon will no longer have a direct route to Paris within a few weeks.

Cork-Paris is probably your best option and is competitively priced if booked in advance.

Dublin-Paris offers more choice of airlines, but is less convenient to the area you are staying in.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

I booked the Cork to Paris flight for our May trip and got quoted 1 euro + fees per person - pretty incredible. There was also a special when I booked it, that for 18 euros per person, that would include one checked bag and seat assignments. The US rep didn't know about that, so we ended up booking on-line. I had originally considered and researched the Dublin to Paris ferry and train options and everyone was absolutely right - it would be a grueling voyage to undertake.

One other thought. Salzburg is very close to Munich, so as you're researching discount flights, also check out Munich as one of the legs. There are all kinds of discount train tickets and passes between Munich and Salzburg which you can check out on their TA Forums.

As you get ready to buy the train tickets, be sure to check out the best way to do that - which is to say you're from another English speaking country than the US. There's also a lot of hints on how to do that on the France Forum. Have fun on this special graduation trip with your daughter. Our son wanted to do Rome and Greece so that's where we went. He's now a junior at Purdue and ended up studying abroad in France 2 summers ago.

Good luck with the planning. BB (a fellow Ohioan, but not a Buckeye :))

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed for travel from Ireland to Paris

Boating Buddy,

That is actually what I discovered today, that it is not that much more to fly into Munich on Aer Lingus. That would get us to Salzburg in just a few hours. Then we would not have to backtrack to go from Austria, to Spain. I am so much happier with all the plans now as it seems it will work out so well. It will be one busy, whirlwind tour but then it will be worth it to be travelling and seeing so much in Europe.

The only question I have is that it only lists flight only when going from Cork to Munich, bags were if you were checking two of them. What if you only want to check 1 bag? Is that possible?