We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

Day 3-4 we were to stay at Kilronan Castle which is near Carrick-on-Shannon. At the advice of my Trip Advisor friends, KillyWilly I believe, we decided to go "in and then up", so essentially Gort, Clonmacnoise, Athlone, Carrick-on-Shannon then to Kilronan Castle.

We had no problem driving the highways to Gort, then finding Thoor Ballylee, which, as Tony2phones wrote, is closed because of a flood. We walked around the tower, took some lovely scenic pictures of the bridge, fall foliage, etc, then got back in the car headed to Clonmacnoise.

Clonmacnoise was really beautiful - what a view! The sun was shining (we had perfect weather all week) and the light sparkling on the river and shining over the stones and green grass was gorgeous. It was very peaceful and quiet; there was only one other family there, and a small neighborhood dog who apparently comes to visit the tourists. One thing we did learn is at the chapel down by the river, there is an offering plate built into the stones that is filled with coins - apparently people make an offering there for help with their migranes.

Next up - Athlone to Sean's pub for a driving break. We wanted to go here at "the oldest pub in Ireland" and we are glad we stopped, though they weren't serving food. There was only one other regular in the bar, and a nice bartender Steve who served up a nice pint and had a cozy fire burning. After a rest , and picking up a cappuccino a few doors down at a coffee shop, we were back on the road toward Kilronan.

Now, my plans were to drive through Carrick-on-Shannon, check in to the hotel, then catch a cab to Boyle for dinner, these plans did not work. We stopped for a break at Carrick and had a beverage at The Oarsman which was a nice place. By the time we were on the road to Kilronan, the sun was setting in gorgeous pinks and purples, mist was rising over the fields and we got some beautiful photos of the landscape. Once checked into the hotel, we found they had a 'drawing room' which was more casual than the restaurant. We could wear our jeans and a nice shirt /sweater and feel comfortable so we decided to stay and relax there. The bartender was wonderful and attentive, they had a nice basic menu to choose from. My sister had a ceasar salad with chicken that I was envying, my husband and I had roasted chicken with a potato gratinee type thing that was delicious and my sisters husband had pan fried cod with potatos too (I think). They were all delicious and beautifully presented - and we felt at home sitting on settees with a coffee table grouped in front of a fireplace. We finished dinner with a cheese plate, cheesecake dessert and whiskey for medicinal purposes.

Our rooms were beautiful, each had a crystal chandelier and marble spa bathroom. We had rooms in the original castle that had windows that had views over the rolling green lawns, down toward the lake. We really felt spoiled.

Breakfast was served in the breakfast room/restaurant and you had your choice of the continental buffet or having the 'full irish', day one we had the former, day two we had the latter. Yogurt, fresh fruit, granola, croisants, brown bread, cereals, etc all elegantly. We prefered tea to the coffee.

Now, the first activity was super fun - and different! I had made reservations at the Lough Bo Shooting Center to try clay pigeon shooting - it was definitely challenging, but definitely fun! To get there, you had to drive down a single lane road through the country (my sister was driving, lucky me!) we did have to back up 100 feet or so to a pull off area b/c another car was coming in the other direction - so that was interesting, but we survived. The shooting center has a clear sign, and a locked gate that you wait at. There was a little confusion over the booking - I was supposed to call to confirm the reservation that I made over email, which I didn't, but it all worked out. We were first greeted by 3 dogs, a black lab Roxy, yellow lab Sandy and boxer Sally. They were so nice, and essentially let us know where to go.

The center building itself is a rustic one room cottage with fireplace - and the shooting lesson happens right in the area outside the door. Clay pigeons look like small round tea saucers and there are 5 stations or challenges to try. First everyone is given earplugs! Our instructor was Jerry and he was FANTASTIC! What a nice guy - and in our honor he had on his NRA hat with large American Flag logo on the side! The two guys in our party had fired bebe guns as kids, and the two girls had not fired a gun at all. Jerry helped each one of us individually and we each were hitting the pigeons!

There are 5 challenges, and only one person shoots at a time. Jerry stands by your side (you are in a cage like thing) and instructs you on how to hold the gun, adjust your stance, grip the gun, etc. Just to brag, I will say my first shot I hit the pigeon! Wow!

First the pigeons are going away from you, the second they are coming toward you, third is up and toward, fourth is up in the air and the fifth is called the rabbit - it is essentially rolling over the grass. It took about 2 hours, you get 5 shots at each target. We were lucky to see Shane, the owners grandson show us how real shooting is done - two launched at once a rolling rabbit and one like a bird shooting across the sky and he could hit both in what seemed like one swift graceful movement - it was incredible to see. We took a few pictures, and they got some extra guns for us to hold for our photos. I can't tell you enough how nice the family was, how great the instruction was and what a great experience we had. The only downside was that it was very misty/foggy so we couldn't really see the beautiful scenery to its full extent.

After that excitement we were headed to Drumkill to see Yeats grave where I read two poems at his graveside. (had to have some reason for going there..) We then drove up to see Creevykeel which wasn't as exciting as New Grange, but was interesting to see and speculate on. I think I was confusing it with another site I read about on TA.

Next up was Sligo where we found a parking spot and headed to Hargadon's for late lunch. Once again our timing for food was off, so we ended up sitting there relaxing for 30 mins or so until they started serving dinner at 4pm. We had a delicious late lunch of bangers and mash, sandwiches or chicken with Guiness and/or tea.

We drove back to Kilronan and had a leasurely walk on the grounds, checked out the beautiful pool and gym area ending our day with dinner again in the drawing room.

Next up on to DUBLIN!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

Sounds like you had a great trip! A few observations: the Yeats grave site is at Drumcliffe not Drumkill (in case you are making a scrapbook or such like) and we believe that you were mistaking Creevykeel with Carrowkeel? As you discovered Creevykeel is a solitary court tomb on the roadside whereas the multiple tombs at Carrowkeel are hill top passage cairns that are similar in look/style to the one at Newgrange but you are free to explore the site and enter 3 of the tombs on your own without a guided tour or entrance fee. We were wondering when you had asked about Creevykeel before your trip as it's not on the usual 'hit list' for the area although it's definitely worth a stop if you are nearby. The other megalithic cemetery site in Sligo that you could have been thinking of is called Carrowmore which has some tombs that pre-date Newgrange by around 1-1,500 years - it really doesn't help that they all begin with a C does it! You'll just have to come back and see them all another time ;-)

Glad you got to sample olde-worlde Hargadons - it's recently had a refurb but thankfully they haven't stripped it of all it's authenticity just removed a few H+S hazards like unguarded wood-burning stoves etc. It's a charming place to while away an hour or two...

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

Hello!

Still laughing about drumkill vs drumcliffe - while I was typing I was trying to remember the name of carrowkeel which I confused with creevykeel, "it ends with something that sounds like kill" - you figured out what I was trying to remember - thank you!

All those C's, I definitely confused them! We will have to get back to see them! As official tour guide, it was a little confusing after telling my family "ok, we park at the second gate and have a 20 minute walk.." when in fact we were at the parking lot and the site is just up a few stairs...hahahaha

Well, they still trusted me after that - and Hargadon's made up for it! :^)

Edited: 18 October 2010, 11:48
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

"ok, we park at the second gate and have a 20 minute walk.." -> it was definitely Carrowkeel you were looking for then ;-)

We were actually up at the cairns there quite recently with some friends from the UK who were totally blown away by the experience - aside from the thrill of clambering into the tombs it was one of those good visibility days when you could clearly see the sea cliffs of Slieve League in Donegal in one direction, Sligo's own Ben Bulben and Knocknarea in the middle area and then the Mayo mountain of Croagh Patrick in the other...

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

Sounds incredible! You are making me quite envious!

I am determined to get to Donegal one day - so then I will make sure I stop and look up the proper C-location in Sligo!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

DARN!

I just found it on the map - WE WERE RIGHT THERE PRACTICALLY!!

Aye carumba! The devil's in the details! Shame on me!

6. Re: Trip Report - Dooley vacations 6 night castle tour: KILRONAN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 07:17