We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I visit in Ireland?

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
Where should I visit in Ireland?

My mom and I are taking a trip to Ireland next May, and I am trying to figure out an itinerary for approximately 8 nights. She's never been, so I definitely want to at least hit Dubiln and Galway, but I'm not sure what other places are must-sees. I'm hoping to visit some much smaller/scenic/traditional places as well. We are going to rent a car, and will probably be driving from place to place. I think we'll definitely need to leave Northern Ireland out of this short trip.

So please, tell me, what are your favorite places!!! Any itinerary suggestions??

Thanks!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

Hi JennyCSF! May is a nice time to visit. Longer daylight hours and in late May a riot of colour in the hedgerows.

I assume you're flying into Dublin, are you flying out of Dublin as well or have you considered flying out of Shannon?

This is really just a rough idea for your 8 nights: 2 nights Dublin, then over to Connemara for 2 nights. Roundstone would certainly meet your wish of visiting smaller/scenic places. Have a look at www.roundstone.ie/index.php. Eldon's is a nice place to stay in Roundstone. Then off to Galway for 2 nights. If you're flying out of Shannon you would have another 2 nights for Co. Clare. If you're flying out of Dublin you could still travel through the Burren, stay one night and head back to Dublin for a last night. Depending on your flight you could even stay 2 nights in Clare but that might be pushing it for time at Dublin airport.

Staying 2 nights in each place would save you having to pack up every single morning. This itinerary wouldn't mean too much driving every day.

Of course, you could also head southwest or northwest or southeast, I am sure other posters will suggest itineraries for those regions.

It would also be easy to amble through Cavan/Monaghan/Leitrim (lesser known Ireland) over to Sligo and then down to Galway.

Good luck with the planning!

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

Thanks so much!!

I was actually thinking of flying in to Dublin and out of Galway. I don't even know if Galway has a big airport though :) My mom seems to be interested in places more in the Southwest. What would you suggest in that case?

I will definitely do some research on the places you suggested :)

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

I just looked up Connemara, that looks incredible :)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

I don't think there are international flights out of Galway but you can certainly fly to Dublin and other Irish airports and airports in the UK for connecting flights to the US.

You can also visit the southwest, again just a very rough plan: 2 nights Dublin, one night Kilkenny (www.kilkenny.ie/eng/), 2 nights Kenmare (www.kenmare.com/), 2 nights Dingle, 2 nights Galway (assuming you're flying out of Galway to a connecting flight in Dublin or the UK).

I'm not really happy with that because it means so much driving without really having time to enjoy one single place. You could leave out Kilkenny (pity) and Kenmare (pity) and head straight for Dingle for 3 nights and then spread out your remaining 3 nights between Clare and Galway, always assuming Galway will be your airport for getting back home.

Or base yourselves in Killarney from where you can tour the Dingle peninsula (my favourite place in Ireland closely followed by about a hundred others), the Ring of Kerry, the Beara peninsula, Kenmare...

But I think you should decide on where you're going to fly out from before making definite plans. Your itinerary will depend on it.

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

Thanks! That sounds like a lot of good suggestions. What other airports besides Dublin have international departures? Does Shannon or Cork have an airport?

Appreciate all of your advice!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

Shannon is an international airport with connections to the US and elsewhere in the world.

From Cork you have connections to locations all over Europe. So you could fly from London, for example, to Cork and the other way around.

7. Re: Where should I visit in Ireland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:18