We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland trip report Day 1&2

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
69 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland trip report Day 1&2

After checking this forum for months we finally landed in Ireland. Thanks to Delta airlines we spent the first 2 days of our 12 day vacation at JFK, I really cannot say enough bad things about them and their lack of customer service. Moving right along, we arrived in Shannon and rented our car from Hertz. I had researched as much as I could about super collision, etc and Hertz stuck to their quote with no surprises. I found the roads, especially on the west coast challenging, but my two friends adapted easily. We would switch positions each day, one driving, one navigating, one in the back seat enjoying the ride. Often there were locals tailgating but I went as slow as I felt comfortable, and I do mean slow. We spent the first night in a self catering cottage outside Lisdoonvarna. It's called the Burren Cottage and is run by Katherine Mahon. We arrived to milk,eggs, cheese, bread, etc. for our breakfast. Since we had not eaten and it was late we decided to venture into Doolin to have dinner at a pub, Katherine and her sister were kind enough to drive into town and let us follow them since it was night and we felt we would get lost. We went to McGann's Pub and had a pint, and without doubt the best stew I have even had.The portions were enormous and I couldn't finish it. We slept 11 hours,

but were determined to fill our day with sights. The Cliffs of Moher were windy, but as breathtaking as everyone says. We then went to the Doolin Cave, down 125 steps to see the world's largest stalactite. We then toured the Burren and found the Poulnabroun Dolmen. It is a photographers paradise. Tomorrow, the trip to County Kerry.

Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Galway Tour Company
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Rural Pub Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland trip report Day 1&2

Oh good!! A live trip report. Love these. :-)

West Chester
Level Contributor
151 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland trip report Day 1&2

Looking forward to your next installment!

3. Re: Ireland trip report Day 1&2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 06:17