We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car tips? Dublin Airport

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
rental car tips? Dublin Airport

I've been to ireland about 6 times now via car rental (always took the bus around before) and it seems every time we get really (forgive me )screwed by the rental agency, who ever we use.

Has anyone ever had a postive car rental experience from Dublin Airport? Any tips for me?

And yes, we have to rent a car... this is the trip to take my inlaws to Ireland to visit my mother as they have never been there before, and we'll need the flexiblity of a car (my mother lives about four hours from Dublin)

Edited: 27 November 2010, 02:15
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car tips? Dublin Airport

Whenever I travel I use economycarhire.com. They quote in GBP but the pricing is very clear. Their Irish rentals are through Budget

Edited: 27 November 2010, 02:34
Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car tips? Dublin Airport

Would you mind explaining what happened when you were 'screwed'? Interesting to know what happened

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car tips? Dublin Airport

Economy Car Hire is a broker - if you book a car there you could end up with any of the providers at Dublin Airport. Thrifty (www.thrifty.ie) are a good company and have a strong focus on customer service.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car tips? Dublin Airport

In four trips to Ireland I've always rented through Journey through Ireland. They are a company that arranges rentals through Hertz exclusively. I've had nothing but excellent experiences with them and have already booked with them for my 5th and 6th trips next year.

With Journey through Ireland, you prepay for everything except SCDW, which I've then purchased at the counter with Hertz.

http://www.irelandtouring.com/

Keith

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car tips? Dublin Airport

I tried Keith's suggestion and booked this time with Hertz, using Journey through Ireland also. Ended up with a mid-size manual for 4 adults for 12 days for $535.00 all inclusive except SCDW, which is suppose to be available for 12 euros/day at the counter. This will add approx $200.00 to the deal. Journey is great to work with, so far. We had a good experience with AutoEurope in 2006, and not so good with Europcar/Irishcarrentals/National....all under the same umbrella at Shannon in 09. Our experience, along with many others that I have read about in the internet; regarding this company is that they are known for adding on fees....some surprises even coming on your credit card when you get home I've heard that Dooley will give you an honest quote too, and you can work with them through their US office. If you pre-pay with Dooley or Journey/Hertz, you get a nice discount, and it locks it in US dollars, if you are worried about dollar devaluation vrs. the euro. The rental car situation is the black mark for Irish tourism....I wish they would get it figured out! Dan

6. Re: rental car tips? Dublin Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 06:20