We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Ireland in March

Quincy, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Ireland in March

Hey there, first trip to Ireland with my GF coming up March 5-13

Planned as follows...

-Fly into Dublin and head straight to Donegal Town for 2 nights

-Down to Galway for 3 nights

-Down to Killarney for 2 nights

-Back to Dublin for 1 night and head home

Airfare and accomodations are all booked... now we have to figure out how we'll get from city to city! I've read about Bus Eireann and IrishRail. Are these two options frequently running and on time? And we were thinking of just getting tickets to places when we need them, or are these services typically booked and sold out ahead of time?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

Hi, In my experience, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail are quite punctual. The frequency of buses & trains depends on the route.

Bus tickets are usually purchased on the bus or, in larger towns, at the bus station - no need to purchase ahead of the day of travel.

Train tickets are best purchased online, before leaving home - much less expensive than buying at the station.

http://www.buseireann.ie/

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

I would take the bus for all routes except Killarney-to-Dublin, you'd want to take the train for that.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

Hi, you can take a Bus Eireann bus from the airport in Dublin to Donegal town. You'll find a timetable on their website. The journey is 4 1/2 hours, which leads me to ask, is it necessary for you to travel so far? You're going to be spending a lot of time looking out a window on this trip altogether. Also on the Galway to Killarney leg. And then back to Dublin. If it were me, I'd cut it down, a lot. B

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

Not exactly the tourist season, one would wonder what you intend to do in Donegal town for two days in early March besides going stark staring crazy with boredom and probably cold too.

This trip needs some serious planning in my honest opinion.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

I would rather be in Donegal early march than a couple of other places starting with a D but without a car this trip is going to be through a bus window. I suppose if the timetables fit you could fly Dublin to Sligo then bus to Donegal but it would still swallow most of a jet laged day and without a car it's unlikely that you will get to see the beauty of the surrounding area in your time there. Galway is a good option with the possibility of tours out from the town and Killarney also gives good options. Personally I would have a bit of a rethink, scrap Donegal and recover from your flight in Dublin before heading across to Galway?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

While you don't need to book online for bus or rail travel it's always worth a look as there are often promotional fares only available online, for instance, I was going to Cork in December and the fare when purchased at the train station was €76.00. Online on the Irish Rail website it was €46.00. Big difference!!! I also recently noticed that if you purchase two single fares instead of a return fare you can save further, I eventually got my ticket to Cork for €32 using this method.

There are often private bus companies that travel the same route as Bus Eireann and they tend to be quicker, more comfortable, more courteous and run more to schedule then Bus Eireann. Often times they are cheaper too. They all have well maintained up-to-date websites with timetable and fare information. For example, on the Dublin - Galway route Citylink run a good service. If you are interested post your origin and destination towns here or in the relevant forums on TA and I'm sure you will get some answers!

Best of luck!

Quincy, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

I have a friend that lives in Ballyshannon, thats the reason for 2 days in Donegal Town. We like to be on the move, a few hours of travel every few days doesn't bother us. =)

7. Re: Getting around Ireland in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 06:31