We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laptop in ireland????

Belle Haven...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
laptop in ireland????

Would it be beneficial to bring our laptop? We are doing the fly and drive. Our concern is keeping in touch with home and may need it to book B&Bs? Or our their plenty of places to connect without bringing your own ex. B & B, libraries etc ?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laptop in ireland????

Although wifi hotspots are on the increase, I would not say that there are plenty of free wifi spots throughout the country. Many hotels have it now, some offer it for free, others use it to bump up profits. Few of the smaller B&B's will offer wifi as a service.

Having said that, if you will need your laptop to communicate with home and make bookings online here then you should bring it. You will find wifi but you will need help finding it, by asking locals (B&B owners etc)

Make sure you have an appropriate power cable and check with your laptop manufacturer that your laptop cn plug into our electrical system.

Belle Haven...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: laptop in ireland????

Thank you for the info. we were hoping not to bring the laptop as it was just more luggage. But, based on your comments looks like we will be bringing it.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laptop in ireland????

We brought our laptop and Ipod Touch to Ireland this past October. Both had Skype installed. When I planned our stays, I made sure our b and bs had WIFI. It seemed that most did when I did my research. The Skype worked brilliantly on the IPOD. My wife had to use it to contact her work about her upcoming schedule. It was like calling locally. E-mail worked great with one glitch. E-mail to wife's work was filtered out, possibly due to foreign IP address. It was great watching a live stream of my football team (Patriots) and local news from home. Even though I was enjoying my trip, it was reassuring being somewhat connected to home.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: laptop in ireland????

I travel with my laptop because I absolutely must keep in touch with work. If I didn't have to do that, I would leave it home. It is a hassle packing it, toting it, securing it.

I mostly stay at B&Bs and guest houses. 95% of the places I stay have WiFi. 70% have computer access for guests. Many will let you check email or make a reservation on their computer if asked. Many libraries have free Internet access and others will charge a small fee. There are Internet cafes in most Irish towns.

Unless you need to use it heavily, leave it home.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: laptop in ireland????

I would stick with a mobile phone. Tesco currently charge 2c/min Eire-USA and even if you do find wifi you might find problems with the speed for using Skype etc.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: laptop in ireland????

Caution about Tesco Mobil. I purchased a Tesco Mobile phone and it did not work for the numbers I wanted to call in the US. The problem was partially corrected by the end of our trip. Numerous calls to customer service revealed it was a network issue. If not for Skype, we would not have had an economical way to call home.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laptop in ireland????

As long as it's not a hassle for you to bring it along, I say go for it. I never had a problem finding places to connect, and the connection was always at least decent if not excellent.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: laptop in ireland????

I'm going to be bringing my laptop next week to Ireland and then likely again this summer. I'll be staying in Athlone, at a friend's house who doesn't have wifi.

I've seen people use those USB stick wifi "things" while in Ireland. Where you can load more time/money at gas stations, etc.?

Does anyone know if someone who doesn't use Vodafone (i.e. someone who doesn't live in Ireland) can buy a wifi USB stick in Ireland?

i do have an iPhone, but the public wifi in Athlone is limited. Thoughts? Thanks!

9. Re: laptop in ireland????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 05:23