We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide

Liverpool
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide

Over the years we have been to Cork, Dingle, Waterford, and Westport, Cliften and Wexford. Where ever we have travelled to we all way stay a few days in Galway which is our e No1 fave place. I am trying to plan this years trip. I would like to go up to either Dongal or Sligo leaving from Galway by bus. Where are the best places to stay for using public transport ? Where are the best towns to stay in ?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide

You can fly as you know Liverpool to Shannon or Knock, (Derry for Donegal) on O'Leary's taxi or Manchester to Galway Aer Arann that's the easy bit. Public Transport is the limiting factor. There is no rail in Donegal, Sligo and Mayo are limited so that leaves the bus. The Towns of Donegal and Sligo are served fairly well by Bus Eireann and have enough going on in and around to keep you busy but I suggest your 1st stop is to check out the bus timetables for any trips out you'r thinking of.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=238

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide

Ardara is a great town to visit in County Donegal however there only seems to be a bus service from Galway on a Friday (two services) and from Ardara to Galway on a Sunday and a Monday (one service per day). There are buses from Ardara to Glencolmcille and also to Dungloe, and to Donegal town. These services seem to be daily.

Ardara is a bustling typical Irish town which seems to be busy day and night. There are waymarked trails in the area for keen walkers but you would probably need a car to see the best bits of south west Donegal and believe me there are plenty of best bits!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,890 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide

If you fly into Knock Airport, (Ireland West Airport, Knock) these are some of your options for getting around by public transport:

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/

If the link immediately below doesn't work, check out 'To and From Airport':

irelandwestairport.com/toandfromairport/by_b…

From Galway city:

Bus Eireann has a Cork to Derry service via Limerick, Shannon Airport, Galway, Sligo, Donegal town, Letterkenny:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1269001143-53.pdf

Also, you could consider the Galway to Belfast service via Sligo and Enniskillen:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1276860453-65.pdf

Liverpool
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide

Thank you for your help, I will look at the bus timetable

5. Re: Trying to decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 10:19