We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Ireland

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in Ireland

We're secular people, but love a good cultural experience. If you were going to be in Ireland over Easter, would you want to be in Dublin or outside of Dublin? Any specific suggestions?

Fast replies GREATLY appreciated as we are looking at booking car rental today. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Ireland

Probably the biggest issue you need to be aware of would be that the pubs are closed up tight on Good Friday in Ireland.

Otherwise it would depend on what type of experience you're looking for, regardless of whether it's Easter or another time of year. Big city versus smaller towns and villages, or a combination of both like many people enjoy. The country is small enough that you can do both unless you're just in Ireland for a couple days.

How much time do you have for your visit?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Ireland

We're gonna be in Ireland from the Monday before easter to Monday after. Not much time. This is our second trip, We were there for 3 week honeymoon 5 years ago. After reading up some today, it looks like it might be meaningful to be in Dublin and attend the Easter Sunday 1916 ceremony in front of the Old Post Office. Has anyone done that before?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Ireland

We are not even sure that they have 1916 ceremonies, it seems so insignificant these days when we haven't even got a proper government. Why even bother to celebrate 1916. It certainly isn't a 'free state' any more, we have sold our independence to the EU.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Ireland

"After reading up some today, it looks like it might be meaningful to be in Dublin and attend the Easter Sunday 1916 ceremony in front of the Old Post Office."

I thought that would take place on Easter Monday rather than the Sunday, but maybe someone local can confirm.

To go back to your original question, is there some part of Ireland you really enjoyed during your previous visit? A week would certainly give you time to drive out somewhere and enjoy 3-4 nights and then return to Dublin for the weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Ireland

I can confirm the 1916 commemoration and military parade outside the G.P.O. takes place on Easter Sunday. There may be other events on Monday!

The Military parades were stopped for many years due to "The Troubles" but have been held every year since the 90th anniversary in 2006!

By the way, anytime I've been it's mainly tourists watching the events. You will probably be tapped on the shoulder by some local and asked "what's going on?"

There will be a big screen erected but try and get to the barrier early for photo opportunities!

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Ireland

Thanks for everyone's help so far. We rented a car for Monday-Friday and will be back to Dublin Friday evening through Monday mid-day. Looks like most everything is on a normal schedule Sat, Sun, Mon. Does anyone have suggestions for Easter weekend in the city beyond the 1916 commemoration which I think we'll like? We are planning to stay in South City Center.

As for the rest of the time - I was trying to plan to see some different sites than before. We missed Glendalough last time, so that will probably be a day for us, I think. My husband really enjoyed touring Kinsale with Don Herlihy. He also liked the traditional music pub crawl in Dublin. We liked New Grange, Rock of Cashel, Aran Islands, Hill of Slaine, and climbing around in ruins in general. We spent time on the Dingle peninsula, but skipped the ring of Kerry, so that is possible. I was thinking to maybe head up to County Mayo instead of towards the southwest, but really, we're open. We enjoy hearing great stories. Really, just listing all these options confirms that we can't go wrong in Ireland. Any suggestions for an easy four days? Thanks for replying - and sorry this is rambling.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,186 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Aran Islands
Aran Islands
County Galway, Ireland
The Dingle Peninsula
The Dingle Peninsula
672 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
County Mayo
County Mayo
Province of Connacht, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
7. Re: Easter in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2012, 06:18