We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Limerick to Dublin

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
From Limerick to Dublin

I'm going to be in Limerick on Feb. 26 for the men's football club semi-final. I have an 11 a.m. flight from Dublin on the 27th. (I'm only back in Ireland for a week visiting someone so every moment counts.) I'll have a rental car.

My question is, how is the motorway between Limerick and Dublin? Should I assume at least a 3 hour drive on Sunday morning? I know the practical thing to do is leave the boyfriend to celebrate overnight while I drive back Saturday evening and spend the night in Dublin. But, I'm a girl in love. I've driven quite a bit in Ireland and I'm responsible enough to get proper sleep before I drive. So I'm just wondering what to expect for a drive. It's not as lovely as the straight shot from Galway to Dublin, right? Thank you for the help!

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Limerick to Dublin

Sorry for the double post! My darn phone won't let me delete one. My apologies for looking like a dope!

Limerick
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Limerick to Dublin

Hiya,

The roads are alot better nowadays from Limerick to Dublin as the motorway has opened up pretty much all the way. Recently did the trip and it took approximately 2 hours at max. There is a toll on the road now just outside Mountrath which costs €1.80 but if you want to avoid it you can always use the old road and go through Mountrath itself. Sunday morning should be quiet enough so wouldn't see why it should take you any longer then 2 hours to get there. Hope this helps.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,955 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Limerick to Dublin

The road from Limerick to Dublin is great - as Clover has stated. However its the bit between Dublin and the Airport that you need to consider. You'll need the extra time there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Limerick to Dublin

Limerick to Dublin is now pretty similar in terms of road and drive time as Galway to Dublin. Journey is possible in 2 hours from city outskirts to city outskirts but I'd allow 2.5 hours to be certain. Also getting around Dublin on the M50 to the airport should be hassle free early on a Sunday . However, note that standard advice is to arrive at Dublin Airport 3 hours prior to US departures to allow for US Immigration clearance etc. This suggests that you need to be in Dublin Airport circa 8.00am which in turn suggests a departure from Limerick circa 5.30/6.00am.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Limerick to Dublin

Thanks everyone for the practical advice! I'll make sure to get a very early start on Sunday morning!

6. Re: From Limerick to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 05:18