We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the Burren Way on our Own

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,146 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Walking the Burren Way on our Own

My husband and I originally intended to do an "organized" self-guided walking tour of the Burren Way and, with a little help from our TA friends and a LOT of internet searching, we found a couple of possible options. However, I am now re-thinking that plan since the rates seem high (about 160 euros per day for accommodations, a map, and luggage transport) and because the tour operators are not corresponding well with me on the details.

So, now I'm thinking about just buying the OSI map for that portion of County Clare (Map 51 of the Discovery Series?) and walking it on our own. If I can find some B&Bs that will transport our luggage, we'll try and inn-to-inn walk. If not, we'll base ourselves in a couple of towns and do walks from there.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? (BTW, my husband is an excellent map and compass-reader.) Any suggestions for accommodations? Any other suggestions/comments/recommendations? Thanks for any and all assistance!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

I think you will probably get the same answers as your last post on the subject but I cannot see any great problems in plotting the course and emailing potential B&B's at stepping stones to see if they would mind moving your luggage to the next staging point. I am sure that in an area so popular with walkers that you will find willing hosts.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

longhorn, as Tony says, any advice you got on your original post should still be good for doing things this way.

If it is of any use to you in planning where to stay, these are the trailheads on the Burren Way:

Trailhead 1 : Lahinch

Trailhead 2 : Doolin

Trailhead 3 : Lisdoonvarna

Trailhead 4 : Ballyvaughan

Trailhead 5 : Carran

Trailhead 6 : Corofin

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,146 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

Thank you both. I didn't mean to post a redundant question. In the original post, my intention was to find companies that offered packaged self-guided walking tours (which I did finally find) and the intention of this post was more of a request for confirmation that the Burren Way could be easily walked as I described (and you both seem to agree that it can.)

Now, if I may ask some more specific questions:

1. Would Map 51 of the OSI Discovery Series be a good choice for us? If not, which map would be? Are there any supplemental materials you can recommend which would enhance our walking experience? (For example, on the website that Suzy Flag referred me to was a link to a company called Tir Eolas which published informative books and maps of the Burren.)

2. Bannergirl, I saw those trailheads on the Shannon Region Trails website that your mentioned in my earlier post. Are the trailheads that you list easily found in those towns? (In my hometown, you would need a very specific address to find anything but perhaps that's not the case in these towns.)

3. Is there ample parking available at these trailheads? Is it safe to leave our car there for several hours while we hike (with all valuables locked in the trunk, of course.)?

Again, thanks for any help.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

Longhorn:In a bit of a hurry but I'll write a quick reply!

Many of the walks in the Burren are circular routes and it may just suit you better to drive to a location,park up and do your walk. Many of the places don't have any official carparks.

The Tir Eolas maps are excellent maps and very detailed with many of the local antiquities marked on the map. Would be good to use in conjunction with the Discovery map. (51 is the correct map for the Burren). They are along established local company and maps are easily picked up in local towns.

http://www.tireolas.com/

Another excellent detailed map is Tim Robinson's map of The Burren!

www.burrenbeo.com/shop/Default.aspx…

Most of these can be also be ordered online from Burrenbeo,Tireolas and I have seen them on Amazon previously.

You may be interested in this recently published book of walks in The Burren.

http://heartofburrenwalks.com/the-book

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

Just stumbled over this site which might be of interest.

http://rockchic.com/

The Burren trail is well marked and I have seen cars parked by the side of the trails where they cross the main roads and I would think cars would be fairly safe out on the Burren with only the locals using many of the minor roads at least I wouldn't be too concerned about leaving mine for a few hours.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

The map here seems to correspond to Trailhead 3 in bannergirl's list above. Among other things, various parking spots are shown:

www.walkinginireland.co.uk/walk5/walk5.html

This is a nifty little device showing distance in miles along the route and a list of relevant Geonames:

www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,146 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

Thank you all. I read your comments and looked at the links you provided and this is just the sort of information I was looking for!

8. Re: Walking the Burren Way on our Own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 05:33