We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
582 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Just returned from a wonderful (albeit brief) first trip to Ireland. What a fabulous country!

I was traveling with a girl friend and our travel philosophy is that while we want to see as much as we can, we also want to relax and enjoy ourselves along the way. If we miss some sights, so be it.

We flew into Dublin from Newark, arriving around 9:30 .am. Easy flight. We quickly learned that picking up a rental car is not quite as easy as in the US. We had reserved with Dollar but couldn't find a sign for Dollar anywhere. After wandering aimlessly, we called Dollar and were told that in Dublin, Dollar is Thrifty. Off we go to find the Thrifty counter. We didn't. Ended up getting talked into renting with Budget by a very persuasive agent. It's amazing what you'll agree to when you're operating on little to no sleep!

Finished filling out rental forms and walked out side to find the car. Found it (after more aimless wandering) and hit the road to Enniskerry and the Ritz Carlton at the Powerscourt estate. The GPS we had was not the best--I was very happy to have my friend as co-pilot to supplement the GPS or I'm pretty sure I'd still be in a car somewhere in Ireland.

Arrived at Enniskerry and immediately went to grab some lunch. What an adorable town! We found Poppies--a casual, order at the counter place. Great food and very friendly folks.

Following lunch we drove up the road to the Ritz. Wow. This place is magnificent! I'll post a full hotel review separately but let's just say we loved it and if you're looking for a splurge, this is worth it. We got settled in our room, took a short nap, went for a walk and then had tea at the hotel followed by a trip to the spa. In other words, perfect first day in Ireland!

Friday morning we hit the road early and headed to Waterford--about a two hour drive. We both really wanted to see the factory tour and I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations. These craftsmen are amazing. The amount of concentration and physicality that is required was really something. They truly are masters. We grabbed a quick lunch in Waterford and then turned toward Kilkenney.

Now, Kilkenney isn't that far from Waterford. We had no problem finding the town itself, but we had a heck of a time finding the castle. Our GPS was no help and we couldn't find a single street sign anywhere so our paper maps weren't very useful. After about 25 minutes of driving in circles and not getting anywhere, we pulled over and asked for directions. Fortunately, a very helpful man pointed us in the right direction.

We made it in time for the last tour of the castle. Very interesting and worth the price of admission. We then wandered around the town a bit and did some shopping before getting back in the car to head back to the Ritz. Long day but we felt it the time on the road was worth it. Had dinner in the pub at the Ritz that night--great fish and chips and live music to boot!

We slept in a bit on Saturday morning, and then walked to Powerscourt Gardens. Our intent was to tour the gardens and then hit the road for more sight seeing. However, we got completely caught up in the Avoca shop that is now in the Powerscourt house and spent about an hour there. And honestly, I'm not much of a shopper but I couldn't get enough of this place! We toured the gardens and while there weren't many flowers at this time of year, they truly are breath-taking. We just soaked up the views. I could easily see myself going back to Powerscourt again and seeing how the landscape changes from season to season.

We left Powerscourt and drove to Glendalough for the afternoon. Seeing the monastery was at the top of my "must do" list and it did not disappoint. What a peaceful, lovely site. The weather was quite cold and damp (more than any other part of our trip) and it was late afternoon so we didn't get to the lakes but that was okay. On the list for next time. We spent a bit of time in Laragh, stopping at a pub for an afternoon snack before heading back to our hotel. The drive from Enniskerry to Glendalough was gorgeous. Some of the most beautiful country side I've ever seen. Dinner at the hotel again tonight.

Sunday we were up early to check out and return our car to the Dublin airport. We cabbed into the city and checked into the Westbury. Another great hotel in a perfect location. After check in we strolled along Grafton Street and then did a HOHO tour of the city. We did the full loop. Our guide was great--very informative and quite funny. Following the tour we had lunch at Avoca--we were a little excited to find this shop again so we visited the cafe and had a great lunch.

In the afternoon, my friend and I split up. she wanted to shop and I wanted to see the Book of Kells. I'm so glad I did. I got there about 45 minutes before closing and tickets were 1/2 price. There were about 8 other people in the viewing room, so I decided to spend some time reading the display information in the ante room. When I finished, I went back to the viewing room and no one else was there. I got to view the Book of Kells by myself. Incredible. A definite highlight of our trip. I went upstairs to see the Long Room and it was truly overwhelming. To see all of those books is such a stately setting--I left Trinity College incredilby happy.

In the evening we went to see the Merry Ploughboys. Mixed feelings about this experience. Music was fabulous but the overall experience was "eh". Back to the hotel to pack.

Monday morning, back to the airport for our return home. Did we see all we wanted to? No. Did it matter? Not a bit. We had a wonderful time and I wouldn't change a thing.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Enjoyed your report! Nice insights......I too would take the Book of Kells over shopping!

Dublin
Level Contributor
790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Great report

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Love your report - can identify with the affection for all things Avoca!!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Have been known to get lost in time in Avoca shops too, even the tiny one at Molls Gap.

Thanks for posting,love to hear feedback.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Great report twocoats. We are planning our first trip to Ireland this June/July and plan on visiting some of the same sights you did so I found your report quite helpful. Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

We're also planning our first trip, for this July. I like your attitude towards travel - enough planning to be sure that you're on the right track to see what you want to see, but laid back enough to meander when the mood is right and to shrug your shoulders when things don't go exactly as planned (since they never will do anyway).

Thanks for posting. Hope you get to go back soon!.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

I had the same issue with Dollar/Thrifty. Coming from EWR you would have landed at the new terminal. The Dollar/Thrifty desk is actually only in Terminal 1. It was a pain to walk all the way to the car rental area only to have to walk all the back to terminal 1. I know the terminal is new, but Dollar/Thrifty needs to make that info clearer to customers comic into Terminal 2. Otherwise, sounds like you had a lovely trip!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

I really enjoyed reading this report. You certainly got a lot out of your four days. I had to smile at the gps fiasco in Kilkenny. This is so typical. We have had similar and quite scary experiences with gps in Spanish and Italian small towns.

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
582 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: Four Nights In Ireland

Actually, the GPS didn't work at all after our first day. It couldn't find major highways--just kept telling us it was "recalculating". It couldn't find the town of Enniskerry. It couldn't find Dublin Airport. I'm actually trying to get Budget to refund the GPS fee. I think the software needed an update (and in the future will ask how recently it's been updated).

Thankfully my travel companion was there to guide us the old fashioned way--with maps!