We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abandoned Ireland

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Abandoned Ireland

How about a different kind of adventure holiday, exploring Ireland's abandoned buildings some old and some not so old.

Check out whats going down in your neighbourhood.

www.abandonedireland.com

Edited: 25 March 2011, 22:42
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abandoned Ireland

I love that website!

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abandoned Ireland

This is a great website. The photos are gorgeous. I just wish there were directions on how to get to these places! I would love to include some in my upcoming travels.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,692 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abandoned Ireland

Can direct you to any of the following:

Carlow:

www.abandonedireland.com/DuckettsGrove.html

Cork

www.abandonedireland.com/Ballybeg_Priory.html

Laois

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Dunamase.html

Kerry

www.abandonedireland.com/Cahergall.html

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Abandoned Ireland

My partner and I recently toured Ireland. We loved this website. So many beautiful places to see and explore. Some of the places are hard to find, but If you do a little digging It's well worth it.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abandoned Ireland

Thanks for the link to this website. The photography is amazing. The photographer must have had special permission to enter some of the buildings as many of them would be sealed off because they are dangerous for people to enter.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 11:46
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abandoned Ireland

Irishrover - I doubt very much that most of these private properties would have an 'Open to Visitors' sign on the gate. The deserted convent in Co. Cavan is now owned by a large dairy company and for safety reasons as well as privacy they certainly don't want people on their property.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abandoned Ireland

Cavan, thank you so much for sharing this website. And I can read the Latin on the first photo :)

Ellen

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abandoned Ireland

And in this every picture tells its own story, we have to remind ourselves that so far the twenty first century has also produced more abandoned properties in Ireland than almost any time since the famine. Unfortunately a sign of the times which we are living in, unrecognised by official sources 'ghost estates' are now becoming a tourist atraction.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 19:45
Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abandoned Ireland

Many thanks for sharing this with us and for harveryIreland for the directions. Can anyone be more specific for location of re the PhoenixParkMagazineFort within the Phoenix Park Dublin?

10. Re: Abandoned Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 22:16